We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minnesota State Fair

Rome, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
Minnesota State Fair

My family and I are interested in going to the Minnesota State Fair, however we are from Rome, Ga. I have no idea about where to stay. I have checked out the state fair website several times and understand all the different options to getting to the fair but I need a starting point. Can anyone offer advice on best hotels to stay while we visit?

We're thinking of going during the middle of the week (Wed-Sat) and going to the fair both full days of our stay. We're all adults and we would probably be looking more for convience (to the fair) but also a taste of Minnesota since none of us have been. Although the fair would take up most of our time (I assume), maybe we could be close to other attractions? Pricing wise we would be looking for $90-120 per but I also have no idea about wheather that's realistic. We would be ok with walking, just not over 3 miles probably (per one way).

Hopefully I gave enough info...thanks for all the help.

Brandi

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Minnesota State Fair

Brandi,you may want to check out the best Western Bandana square location as that is very close to the fair.Another good option is the Hampton Inn in Shoreview Mn.(10 minute drive). There's also a Hilton Garden hotel right next door..

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
328 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minnesota State Fair

Are you going to have a rental car? If so, I would recommend staying at one of the locations near the shuttle to the fair. Anywhere in Shoreview would be good as there is a shuttle that goes directly to the fair from a Shoreview location. I would avoid parking at the fair, unless you plan on arriving at about 6 am. The Bandana Square Best Western would be good if you did not have a car, as you could most likely walk to a bus or shuttle point. You would also be close to a bus route that would take you more into the city if you wanted to experience that as well and did not have a car. I have been to a friends daughters birthday party at the Bandana Square BW, and it seemed nice, good pool area. Also there are some things to see right in Bandana square-the Twin Cities Model railroad museum is in there, and that is always fun to see, there used to be a jazz club in there too, not sure if it still is.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 15:29
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minnesota State Fair

I think the Park N Ride and shuttle bus maps might be useful to you.

mnstatefair.org/general_info/…park_ride.html

mnstatefair.org/general_info/get_here/expres…

mnstatefair.org/general_info/…reg_bus.html

You mention walk no more than 3 miles and I'm assuming that means either from a hotel (like the Best Western Bandana Square) or to a shuttle bus?? If so, you might consider some of the hotels around Rosedale Mall. You could consider staying in downtown MPLS to be closer to other "stuff", but I doubt you will find a midweek rate as low as $120.

As noted above, a rental car might be useful, too, to hit some of the other areas not covered by a shuttle/bus.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minnesota State Fair

I agree that the park and ride services are the way to go. Unless you have a rental car, I would not stay at an isolated location like the BW Bandana Square because there is nothing around there -- and all you have is a location convenient to the fair. But still not walking distance.

You could stay in a variety of areas around the Twin Cities area and use the park and ride option using the bus. I would figure out what other things you want to see up here. And then base your location on that.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minnesota State Fair

For clarification on what I said, BW Bandana Square is close enough you could technically walk. But it's relatively far, not a pretty walk and IMO it's crazy if you're going to the fair. As you are going to be walking there all day and the last thing you are going to want to do is walk back to your hotel. Particularly if you have souvenirs to carry,.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minnesota State Fair

Years ago I walked about three miles to the fair, did a random walk around the grounds for 4-5 hours, and walked home. The trip home was brutal. Don't do that.

Rome, Georgia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Minnesota State Fair

Hey guys, thanks for all your help but I think I finally figureed it out. We'll stay in Bloomington, close to the mall and catch the bus to the fair! What's the weather like? Pants and long sleeve or...? Don't forget we're from GA and it's still pretty toasty that time of year in the south. Thanks again!! Brandi

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minnesota State Fair

usually the weather is pretty hot. Often upper 90s with humidity so you should be just fine.And it often feels warmer than the registered temp because of all the ovens, grills and the masses of people blocking out the breeze.

I think you've chosen a good location. It is a very bland area in itself, but you could visit the mall of america but more importantly you have access to the light rail from there and that will take you all the way to downtown Minneapolis to see things like the riverfront (stone arch bridge), twins ballpark, museums, real restaurants etc.

And you should stop at Minnehaha Park to see the falls and maybe get lunch int he park at sea salt

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minnesota State Fair

Odds are very great that your summer Georgia clothes will work very well for the fair. In January, not so much. Only other attraction of note close to the fair is Como Park if you want to take a break from the crowds. About a mile east of the main entrance: great conservatory, zoo, Como Lake, golf course, gardens.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minnesota State Fair

Brandi,

The MN State Fair in located in St. Paul, off of HWY 36 and Snelling Ave. and is surrounded largely by a residential neighborhood. Hotels will be largely booked to accommodate competitors and visitors so I suggest to book early. The closest area would be Roseville, MN for a hotel. I would suggest staying at one of the hotels in Roseville and then take the hotel shuttle to Rosedale mall. The Fair then sets up buses to run from most of the area malls to the fairgrounds (free or small fee) for about every 20 min. Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Minneapolis