We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ride from Minneapolis/St Paul to Montreal, QC Canada?

1 post
Save Topic
Train ride from Minneapolis/St Paul to Montreal, QC Canada?

HI, Is it possible to arrange a train ride from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Montreal, Canada without going through New York? Some websites suggest that it is possible to go from Minneapolis to Chicago to Detroit to Toronto to Montreal but with not much details... Has anyone experienced taking this route? How long was the trip one way?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ride from Minneapolis/St Paul to Montreal, QC Canada?

If you're from MN, I'd be tempted to take a bus to Winnipeg, and travel via Canadian rail from there. Going south to Chicago and then eventually north again seems to be going far out of the way along with the possibility of lengthy layovers between trains. For the best advice I suggest you visit the Train Travel forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ride from Minneapolis/St Paul to Montreal, QC Canada?

Yes

Via Chicago then either thru Detroit or Niagara.

Or ... get to Thunder Bay Ont via bus or car, then ViaRail to Montreal.

3. Re: Train ride from Minneapolis/St Paul to Montreal, QC Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 06:17