We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Chaska

Potomac, Maryland
5 posts
Save Topic
moving to Chaska

My son, who will be 22 soon, is moving to the area for a new job in Chaska in July. I was wondering where we should look for places for him to live. He heard that he should live in Uptown, but that is about 30 minutes every day to work. Are there other areas we should look where young people live that would be closer to work but still make him feel like he is where a lot of kids are choosing to live. He wants to live in a place that has underground parking. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. We will be visiting soon so he can make a decision. Thanks so much for any help.

Vicki

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,988 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Chaska

TripAdvisor is a great forum for travel, but relocation and long-term housing are very personal decisions - are outside the forum posting guidelines. See below, under irrelevant content. My recommendation is to look at resources like city-data (website) or contact a local relocation agent while in town. They can usually assess all your (his) needs and find an optimum spot and share tradeoffs of one place or another.

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/850

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Chaska

On the plus side, Uptown is a hip place for young adults with lots to do, buy, eat, see, etc. He will be within walking distance of alot of entertainment, the chain of lakes, and there are grocery stores (not always easy to find in the city). The demographic is close to his age, which you mention is important. The housing here has "character" and is older. I'm not sure the rent is a bargain because it's a popular place to live, but he can probably find something to fit his budget.

On the downside, Uptown is NOT a place he'll find much underground parking. In fact, he'll have trouble finding off-street parking there and in the winter, that's a tough thing because the streets have parking restrictions to clear snow. Many Uptown drivers endure towing and impounding in the winter and that's expensive and inconvenient. Additionally, a 30-minute drive is not always a 30 minute drive. In the winter, it can be a brutal, long commute. And when it's not snow season, there is alot of road construction and detours to endure. So anyone considering a commute should weigh all of the options.

I would recommend checking Eden Prairie. It's very close to Chaska and the city is working hard to develop a community that's attractive to all ages. There are newer rental properties there that will have indoor parking. It's not a hip, young place, but it has all he needs, and he can drive into the city pretty easily on weekends and evenings when he wants to. If he should change jobs and need to be in Minneapolis, there's a great commuter bus system between EP and Mpls.

I recommend you pick up a "City Pages" free newspaper when here, or perhaps find a link to it online. It's geared towards your son's generation.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Potomac, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to Chaska

Thank you so much for responding. Your information was very helpful. I will have him check out the Eden Prairie area as you suggested. He can be stubborn, but your info on the parking may help to have him look someplace other than Uptown. I agree, I don't feel he should have such a long commute everyday. And I will see if we can get the local paper on line. Thanks for your time and helpful info.

Vicki

Mentioned in this post
Eden Prairie
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to Chaska

Have him check out St. Louis Park. That is what I would do. Puts you on the west side of the city to shorten the commute. Very young and vibrant inner ring suburb with lots of rentals and great access to uptown and the Chain of Lakes. He'll love it.

Mentioned in this post
Chain of Lakes
Chain of Lakes
338 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Potomac, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to Chaska

Thanks so much for your input. We will check out that area as well.

I appreciate you responding.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to Chaska

Just remembering back to my days as a 22-y-o I lived in Uptown. loved it. It's where you want to be if you're that age. Especially if he's new to the area he'd want to be near people his age -- that is uptown. I think living in or near Uptown would be more important than a shorter commute.

As mentioned, parking is a major issue in Uptown. Mostly street parking, and that is not fun -- especially in winter. St. Louis Park is an inner ring suburb and esp if he's east of Hwy 100 and earshot of the chain of lakes, he's in a vibrant area with easy access to the lakes and uptown in general.

I will have to politely disagree on Eden Prairie. It's probably the nicest suburb in the Twin Cities. And it does have a ton of rental opportunities. But I think with him being new to the area he'd be too far from the area where he'd want to be spending time and meeting people. I spend a lot of time out in Eden Prairie because of family connections and I grew up nearby in Bloomington. It's a very family-oriented area, which is great for that phase of life. I just think he'll have a hard time meeting people out there.

I would have a look closer to Uptown and St. Louis Park. Although you might want to pose it to him whether he prefers being in a more urban/cool area with people his age or a shorter commute. I'm not saying the commute would be fun, but I think he'd feel isolated out in the western suburbs

Mentioned in this post
Eden Prairie
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
Bloomington
Bloomington
Minnesota
Potomac, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to Chaska

Well that sure puts a spin on my original thoughts.

Lots to think about. He is going up there in a few weeks and will check out the 3 mentioned areas.

Thanks for your thoughts. They are greatly appreciated.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to Chaska

I would get a place close to work at first, like Eden Prairie. This would give him time to explore the Twin Cities and ask coworkers where they live and what the commute is like. By the time the initial lease is up he'll have a good idea what works best. He will not need to worry about making it to work on time because of road conditions during his first winter in MN. I do agree that Uptown is a cool place but might not be the place for him.

Mentioned in this post
Eden Prairie
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
Potomac, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to Chaska

I agree with you. A long commute everyday can wear on you.

You can always drive to go out on the weekend. He is going up the end of the month to check it out. I am listening to everyone's comments, I hope he will do the same.

10. Re: moving to Chaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:16