We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

We're going to the twin cities to visit the state fair, but we do not drive. Is there special public transport for the fair? We would like to stay in a hotel close to such transport. Can anyone recommend a hotel?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

You can find park and ride service all over the Twin Cities. I would give some thought to where you want to stay and it is likely there is a nearby park and ride option.

Given you are flying in, I think a very good option is to take the light rail from the airport and stay in downtown Minneapolis (so you don't have to pay for a taxi). From that area, you can board the 960 bus on Hennepin Avenue to the State Fair. About 15-20 minutes time en route to the fairgrounds.

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

Thanks! We are coming in with a group for a family affair. After that we want to relocate to someplace that is both a good location for those without a car AND has easy access to public transport to the fair. I thought there were shuttle buses to and from the fair, but I don't know anything about Minneapolis neighborhoods, so I don't know where these are.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,782 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

Try this link for the parking and transportation options at the Minnesota State Fair. If you are not driving at all during your visit, the best option is to take the lightrail into the city from the airport - and to stay in downtown Minneapolis (as stated in #1).

mnstatefair.org/general_info/visitor_guide/P…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
221 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

One other possibility, would be to stay at a property near the Mall of America. There will be a State Fair express bus stop there for sure. The State Fair bus stop is typically near the corner of 24th Avenue and East 82nd Street.

And the light rail connects directly to the mall, so getting downtown from there will be super easy.

Radisson Blu is actually attached to the mall; Homewood Suites is across the street to the south and Ramada Inn is across the street to the north. All within walking distance of the Mall, the light rail stop and the Fair's bus stop.

The Minnesota State Fair is absolutely AWESOME. You're making a good choice to visit during that time. I'm getting hungry for a Pronto Pup just writing this...

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

Stay downtown Minneapolis and take the Express Bus to the Fair.

We do each year.

So easy.

6. Re: State fair: public transport from MPLS? Hotel nearby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:17