We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Hello,

We're planning to visit Minneapolis from 7/7 to 7/10 (7/9 being 10th wedding anniversary). We will be traveling from Chicago. To do in the list are mall of America, Nickelodeon and may be waterpark of america. But are there any nice spots, places/ideas that can make "the day" special? I don't mind driving out couple of hours or even overnight stay if needed.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

What type of spots? We can help with sugegstions if you tell us about what you consider special types of things. MInneapolis is much smaller than Chicago but has about anything you can imagine to do. Lots of outdoors activities, lots of parks, great restaurants, museums, children's attractions etc.

Also, it appears you have at least one child and it sounds like he'll be with you. Are there more kids with you or just him?

Edited: 26 June 2014, 16:04
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

I have two boys.. one is 6 years and other is about 2 years. Hence I am planning for Nickelodeon and waterpark.

However on anniversary day, I would like to surprise my wife with some beautiful location. She is nature lover. I don't think we can go boating or even dinner out for two since kids will be with us 😊

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Kids make it a challenge sometimes.How about Minnehaha Falls Park and the Sea Salt Eatery for lunch? Can get quite crowded but very informal outdoor seating at the restaurant so the kids can join you. The falls are running full right now and you can do a little hike along the creek. Not exactly wilderness nature but it is outdoors, works with kids the age of yours, and the food is good (including the ice cream).

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Minnehaha Falls is a great suggestion. Another would be Lake Harriet (kids could try out the Como-Harriet streetcar ride (short but kid-firendly). Get a picnic at Bread and Pickle. The sailboats, the bandshell, the flower garden, the beautiful houses along the parkway. Special place to me! And lots of room for the kids to roam.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will pick either of the two depending on the weather.

As far as overall trip is concerned I am thinking about following. Any suggestions/changes?

1. Mall Of America

2. Nickelodeon

3. Waterpark Of America (Any better waterparks?)

4. Minehaha Falls

5. Cathedral of St. Paul

6. Como Park Zoo

Is Sea life aquarium worth a visit (compared to Shedd aquarium in Chicago)?

Are there any places that we can cover? Also, some hotels are selling package for Nickelodeon or waterpark. Is it worth spending those extra $$ ?

Edited: 26 June 2014, 17:25
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Sea LIfe won't hold a candle to Shedd Aquarium. It's nice for what it is, but it's a tiny fraction of the size.

Also, Camp Nickelodeon is part of the MOA.

I have not been to the Waterpark of America. Not my thing. But there are many other waterparks, including ones that are outside. Including Cascade Bay in Eagan.

Try to be strategic about when you go to Como Zoo and attached COmo Town. Both will always be crowded in the summer, but finding parking at the absolute peak hours is a certifiable nightmare. So try to go there early. Late morning would be difficult.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

My kids LOVE the Waterpark of America, but it can be expensive. If the weather is nice enough for outdoors, I'd suggest the Edina Aquatic Center or Bunker Beach Water Park or St. Louis Park's Outdoor Aquatic Park or the Apple Valley Family Aquatic Center.

As the above poster said, Como Park includes Como Zoo (free!) and Como Town, but also The Marjorie McNeely Conservatory and LakeComo, where you can rent paddle boats. Otherwise, the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley is very nice.

The Cathedral of St Paul is beautiful and not far from the Minnesota Children's Museum or the Science Museum. The State Capital, MN History Center & James J Hill houses are also close by, but probably not interesting for young children.

On the Minneapolis end of town, you might enjoy the Mill City Museum (very kid friendly!) followed by a walk across the Stone Arch Bridge, where you can watch boats going through the lock & dam (assuming it is open by then).

A public sightseeing cruise is OK with the kids. http://www.twincitiescruises.com/ or riverrides.com/pages/public/sightseeing.html

Edited: 26 June 2014, 22:01
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

A restaurant you might want to consider is W.A. Frost in St. Paul, close to downtown. They have a very nice outdoor dining patio, and are often used for special occasions. http://wafrost.com/index.asp

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,782 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

Although it's not Minneapolis proper, if she's into locations near water, you should check out some of the restaurants in the Lake Minnetonka area or conversely those along the St. Croix in Stillwater. Some are quite good.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
601 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning to visit Minneapolis on 10th anniversary

With a 6 yr old & a 2 yr old, you might consider eating at Buca or Benihana. Yes, both are chains, but they give the kids lots to look at & there is usually so much going on that young children aren't disruptive to other diners.