We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days visit

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
4 days visit

We will visit the Minneapolis from July 19-22, we are planning to spend two days for Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Weisman Art Museum and Mill City Museum. And another two days for Mall of America, Lego Imagine Center and other windows shopping. Consider the traffic, special events, any tip on whether I should visit the museum in weekend or weekdays? We may extend the trip by 1-2 days, any other good suggestion in the Twin City?

thanks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
238 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days visit

You'll be here during the Minneapolis Aquatennial, a 10-day series of events, fairs, concerts, eating. Check out the website: http://www.aquatennial.com/ A very diverse mix of stuff to see/do.

I would suggest you do the Weisman and the Mill City Museums on one day and the MIA on a separate day. None of these museums is open on Monday.

Looks like you enjoy museums. We have two great museums within walking distance of each other in St. Paul: The Minnesota History Center and the Science Museum of Minnesota, both worth visiting. The Science Museum has an omnitheater, which is a good choice if you have a day where the weather dictates indoor activities.

For modern art, you might check out the Walker Art Center and Sculpture Garden in Minneapolis. Right now they have their annual "artist-designed mini golf" course open and ready to play. Be sure to see the iconic Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture by Claes Oldenberg and get a photo. Nice collection of art inside the museum, too, and a great gift shop. You'll find lots of great eating spots within a couple of miles of the Walker, either downtown Minneapolis or in the "Uptown" area.

There is road construction around the Mall of America, so be prepared for detours.

Have a great time!

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days visit

Who are the people traveling in your group? Ages... interests...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days visit

I would also say that I was surprised the Walker was not on your list, considering your interest in art and your inclusion of the Weisman

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
684 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days visit

On the St Paul side of town you could tour the State Capital building, the Cathedral of St. Paul, and the James J Hill house.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days visit

thanks all for the suggestions. I am not a huge fan of arts but Weisman looks intriguing, MCM and MIA have high rating in TA.

Any scenic sites in Minneapolis?

How is late July for Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden?

thanks

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days visit

The EBWG is amazing, but likely overrun with mosquitoes right now, as is any lush area - particularly bad at dusk and dawn. As you may know, we've gotten record rains this spring - unless there's a breeze, bring the bugspray, it's bad! I always take my OOT guests to 2 places, particularly when the waters are high - St Anthony Falls and Minnehaha Falls.

SAF is gorgeous and a great destination area - explore the Guthrie and go up to the cantilever balcony to enjoy the view and the breeze, esp pretty at night. If you can, catch the Mill City Market on Saturday then cross St Anthony Bridge and enjoy live music & consumption on St Anthony Main. You could also check out the World's Most Dangerous Polka Band or awesome piano bar at Nye's Polonaise Room - always a hoot!

Minnehaha Falls would be a fun light rail ride... food, entertainment at night, people watching, trails. The falls are impressive right now but will likely calm down before you arrive.

The 2014 All-Star Game is on July 15 at Target Field, but I'll be darned if I can find any detailed schedule of events...way to market Mpls! The stadium is a great way to spend an afternoon, regardless of your feelings for baseball - great food, beautiful site, awesome people watching, etc... And as previously mentioned, there will be events happening during there Aquatennial - our annual summer festival.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days visit

How is the Minnehaha Falls right now? Pretty much dried up?

Went to EBWG, yes it was quite an impressive place, too bad we are a few weeks late for lady slippers.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days visit

It usually would be down to a slow pour this time of year but the falls are still going fine given the historic rain fall levels we have had this year. The rain ceased about two weeks ago but thee is still water running down the creek and falling over the ledge at minnehaha park,

9. Re: 4 days visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 07:16