We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Help

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Help

I'm going to be in the Minneapolis area this month. I am looking for a really good Italian restaurant, but not an expensive one. A family one that isn't a chain but not white tablecloth would be great.

I am also looking for a Chinese OR Japanese restaurant that you sit on pillows or the floor at the table. Not sure if there are any like that in the area but thought I would ask.

Thanks so much!!!

PS Also if I could only visit/tour one thing (not the mall) what would you recommend.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Help

For what to tour, kids or no kids and how much time to do you have?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Help

In St. Paul, Cossetta's

In Minneapolis, Al Vento. Huge fan. Been there at least 15 times by now. And you could pair it with a visit to Minnehaha Park.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Help

I have an 11 year old. And I haven't planned a thing yet so it can take all day if it's fun.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Help

Also I am open for any restaurant suggestions that are neither Italian or Japanese/Chinese that you recommend. We're up for trying anything.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Help

Where are you (or do you plan to) stay?

Fat Lorenzo's is Italian -- good stop with kids. Gelato.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Help

I plan on staying in Eagan, MN.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Help

I have an 11 y.o., too. If he? (just guessing from your screen name) likes science and/or if the weather is bad, my first choice would be the Science Museum and my second choice would be the Waterpark of America (he had a blast there this winter).

Otherwise, try the Mill City Museum, Stone Arch Bridge, Minnehaha Falls and Como Zoo (free). Play it by ear to see how much time you have. Como Town is an amusement park adjacent to the zoo, but I'm not sure my own 11 y.o. would be into the rides there. He's into the big coasters now and Como Town is geared towards younger kids. I think he'd still go for the zoo, though.

Edina
Level Contributor
55 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Help

If you want a Sushi place where you can sit on the floor I recommend the Minneapolis location of Fuji Ya.

The Minnesota Zoo is very close to Eagan and I highly recommend it.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Help

Try Sakura in St. Paul for sushi. They used to have seating on the floor. Haven't checked out their upstairs lately so I'm not 100% sure its still there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
244 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Help

Not Minneapolis, but Cossetta's in St. Paul is great for Italian.

And it's within walking distance of the Science Museum of Minnesota, which is another great place for adults and kids to visit together. The Science Museum has great traveling and permanent exhibits, plus the Omnitheater. During the summer they open up the "Big Back Yard" outside with a great mini-golf area. The museum is along the Mississippi, and is actually the "visitor's center" for the Mississippi National Park. www.smm.org

You'll get a great education about Minnesota and get to experience the capital city as well as the Mississippi which is so important to our history and economy.