We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WW 1 monuments or archives ?

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
1 post
Save Topic
WW 1 monuments or archives ?

I am visiting Minneapolis in October, are there any WW1 monuments or museums in the city ?

St Paul, Minnesota
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

Hi Belgian5, I am unaware of any monuments or museum exhibits for WWI in Minnesota. You might find some exhibits at Historic Ft Snelling or the Minnesota Museum of History, both in St Paul. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with your search.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

There is a small park in along East River Rd (in St. Paul) with a memorial to those from St. Paul & Ramsey County who served in WWI. It's located where Summit Ave. ends at River Road, right by the University of St. Thomas & the St. Paul Seminary.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

Minneapolis question: Is Victory Memorial Drive, and the memorial at the north end of it for WWI or WWII?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

I'm nearly certain that Victory Memorial Dr. is WW I. It is the blvd. along the western city limits on the north side. The Drive itself is OK, but the neighborhood to the east isn't the greatest.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

sorry to be completely off topic, If you are ever in Kansas City there is the old war memorial S. of Dtwn. They were redoing it last time I was there. Not to be missed

St Paul, Minnesota
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

I forgot about Victory Memorial Drive. A restoration is in the works:

"As the Nation’s largest World War I memorial, the 3.8-mile parkway features a tree and memorial plaque for every serviceman or nurse from Hennepin County killed in the First World War. An AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps(NCCC) team located and edged the 561 stone memorial markers so that each can again be seen."

St Paul, Minnesota
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

Interesting Fact: The old Memorial Stadium was built in honor of WWI soldiers who died. The memorial arch was salvaged and reinstalled in the atrium of McNamara Alumni Center at the Univ of MN.

8. Re: WW 1 monuments or archives ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 04:16