We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

I am going to be staying downtown for one weekend night in November. I know there are many threads about restaurants in this forum, so let me be very specific. I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Northstar on 2nd Ave South. I will also be attending a theater performance on Hennepin. I'm looking for a good early (5-5:30 PM) dinner option that is within walking distance of either the hotel or the show.

The problem is, my companion has an unadventurous palate and would not be thrilled about something like Caribbean or Southeast Asian. So I am looking for a place that serves standard but high quality fare in a nice atmosphere. I'm not limited by price, but if I'm going to pay more than $30 for an entree, it had better be the best food the city has to offer!

I throw myself on the collective wisdom of the Forum! Please advise me...

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

Your options are plenty. I'll list my recommendations in order of casual to upscale. They're all in walking distance between the hotel & Hennepin:

Right on Hennepin you have Rock Bottom Brewery, Palomino, The Chambers Hotel (they have several eateries to choose from and an impressive private art collection/galler), Solera, Capital Grill.

On Nicollet Ave, you have Damico & Sons, The Local, Brits Pub (try the Scotch egg), McCormick & Schmick, The Melting Pot, Basil's, Zelo (great atmosphere), Masa, Mission, Vincent (excellent burgers & fries for an upscale French restaurant), The Dakota (also great for some jazz after the show?), Manny's (best steak institution in town?)

Other recommendations that are just off these 2 main streets include Ikes (another great burger place with Chicago-style atmosphere) Firelake Grill in the Radisson, Murrays (the other best steak institution in town?), Rossi's, 112 Eatery (this is more of a hike of several blocks, but supposedly the best new restaurant in town).

The choices are overwhelming and keep in mind, these are only places I know of and recommend. You can check them all out at TwinCities.CitySearch.com. Also, it will likely be cold and windy in November. I would either consider a) dressing very warm, b) taking a cab or c) tryiing to figure out the skyway, which is hard if you're new to town. Enjoy your weekend, hope this helps!

Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

I vote for Capital Grille.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

Vincent is good

but also a quick cab right up Hennepin Avenue would get you to the Nicollet Island Inn - great steaks / wild rice soup / caesar salad

Bellenote inside Block E would be good too

You could try the Dakota

Here's a few links:

…citysearch.com/profile/5578231/minneapolis_…

…citysearch.com/profile/11398501/minneapolis…

…citysearch.com/profile/5525425/minneapolis_…

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it.

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

In case anyone is curious, I ended up choosing Staccato on Marquette Avenue. We were pleased with the quality of food and service, and the total bill for two including drinks, entrees, and an appetizer was only $75.

6. Re: Downtown restaurant suggestions for the unadventurous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Minneapolis