We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Moorhead

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Moorhead

I am working on the route for my daughter who will be driving from Land O'Lakes WI to a new job in Oregon. It looks like she will want to stop the first night in Fargo/Moorhead. Google Maps recommends 2/73/200/34 from Duluth to Moorhead. Is that the best route? According to Google Maps, 210/10 would be only a few minutes longer and looks like a lot less chance of getting lost. Your advice?

Also, Google Maps estimates 7 hours 41 minutes for the first route. Does that sound right?

Last, any recommendations for a motel safe for a young woman travelling alone along that route, and where to stop if Fargo/Moorhead is too far?

I will ask the same question in the Fargo forum.

7 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Moorhead

Fargo is not too far. Minnesota and North Dakota are safe. The only advise I will offer is after Fargo she needs to get past the oil boom in order to get a hotel room.She will need to travel well into Montana the following day.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Moorhead

Thanks. Someone on another forum said that she should not drive thru western North Dakota at all. But she has to get to new job as quickly as possible and driving thru ND is the shortest. We will plan her next stop in Montana, probably Billings.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Moorhead

I've heard western ND is a mess. She could take a route through Sioux Falls SD and head west. Google maps shows this would be about three more hours but if she has time she could do some sightseeing in the Black Hills, Devils Tower and Yellowstone. Sioux Falls seems to be very laid back so she could do her first night there, her next night in Sheridan WY, and Idaho Falls ID the third night.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Moorhead

She doesn't have the extra day to go thru SD.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
80 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Moorhead

Take the US-2 - 200 - 34 - 94 Route. Not sure the time between LOL and Ironwood but to get to DLH from Ironwood it usually about 2hrs +/-. DLH to Moorhead is about 4hrs +/-. I would recommend going as far as Valley City +1.25hr or Jamestown +1.75hr. This way she'll be able to get past the oil boom area of western ND and eastern MT and make it to at least to Bozeman 9hrs +/- from Jamestown. I-94 is a good road with much traffic. Plus most if not all of the road construction has been completed Drive it two to three times a year on the way out to western MT. Without knowing her age but if she can make 8-10hrs per day driving it'd be a great advantage. It would get her to Oregon on day 3. It's usually the first 100 miles or so that is the toughest.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
452 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Moorhead

Good recommendation by JT. Jamestown has 3 hotels right on I-94. One that comes to mind is a Holiday Inn Express. Bismarck is a 100 miles from Jamestown. That could be her last stop before Montana. I advise her to be street smart about stoping after Bismarck until she gets out of oil territory,

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Moorhead

She's actually starting from near Land O'Lakes. As far as she has to drive, Jamestown seems too far. Will drive farther the last day if necessary.

Reply to: Travel to Moorhead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moorhead
Recent Conversations