We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

Any tips for shuttle and train (sleeper car) ?

Best place to stay? Eat? Pass the time?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
680 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

I assume that you are aware that Am Track does not go into Rochester? Most Rochester hotels have a free shuttle to the Mayo. There are many good chain hotels within walking distance as well as some newer hotels father away that would require a shuttle. Anything in particular that you are looking for in a hotel? There are some quaint shops and the Peace Plaza area if you are staying right downtown.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

I suggest that you take Amtrak to the Winona Station, and there are shuttles and buses to Rochester. The trip from Chicago to Winona is scheduled to be 5.5 hours, and arrives at 7:50 p.m. so you wouldn't need a sleeper. I had a look at http://www.gocarefreeshuttle.com/schedule.htm and it appears they have a shuttle that leaves Winona after the train arrives.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

I was going to suggest what britphile said. Also check into flights. It's possible to find really cheap flights from Chicago to Minneapolis and then there are shuttles from the Minneapolis airport to Rochester. The train (with a regular seat) will most likely be cheaper, but it's an option worth exploring.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
680 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

The most common shuttle service from Rochester is GoRochester Direct. It is approximately $60 round trip from either Winona or MSP.

5. Re: Taking AmTrack Train into (Mayo Clinic) from Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2016, 03:15