We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Fairgrounds

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Fairgrounds

My husband and I are attending a classic car show and staying near the fairgrounds. I'd like some recommendations for restaurants within a 15 minute drive (we're staying near the fairgrounds as well.) Last year we found the Nook and enjoyed our first Lucys and happened on a fairly decent restaurant about 10 minutes west of the fairgrounds - I can't recall the name of it. Any suggestions?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

you might want to check Grand Avenue in St. Paul

from fairgrounds - head south back to 94 - then take that east -

then head south on Lexington to Grand Avenue.

lot's of choices to pick from -

Billy's is good

Tavern on Grand is good

here's a list -

twincitiesdiningguide.com/pages/st_paul_gran…

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

Ten minutes west could have been Muffaletta on St. Paul's St. Anthony Park neighborhood. It's on Como between 280 & Raymond.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

Muffuletta sounds right - food was good and we ate on the outdoor patio which was very nice. Thanks! Any other suggestions?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

I wouldn't classify it as right near the fairgrounds, but it's definitely in the 15-minute-drive range. If you hop onto nearby I-94, head east and exit Dale, turn right, then left on Selby, go 3-4 blocks ....

Moscow on the Hill

Russian restaurant with good food, interesting decor.

And it's very close to another place that people love:

W.A. Frost

I believe both have outdoor seating. I know WA Frost does, with a huge, gorgeoous deck. But WA Frost is spendy, so watch out for that. Moscow on the Hill is not. After dinner, you could have a nice stroll down Selby or even ovr to Summit Hill. Lovely scenery. From Selby you can see the capitol building.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

One of my favorite restaurants in St. Paul is Barbary Fig - on Grand Avenue near Dale Street. North african cuisine - amazing use of spices. It is in a converted house with a large deck in the front. It is my definition of a perfect meal. Your taste buds will be pleased, you won't be overwhelmed by outrageous portions.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

Muffaletta is one of my favorite places to eat. Very fresh and a great outdoor deck.

For a good breakfast head south on Snellling to Selby and try the Neighborhood Café. It's a breakfast/lunch place with a little (midwestern) Cajun twist on the menu (as well as classic breakfast fare) if you're looking for something spicier. If you're a history buff the barber shop owned by Charles Schultz's father was on that block and he grew up in one of the apartments on the second floor.

Car show? Try Porky's drive in on University near Fairview - great spot and a lot of nostalgia.

Right around the corner on Snelling is O'Gara's, a St. Paul mainstay for food & cocktails.

Finally a neighborhood resident insiders tip. :)

If this is one of those big back to the '50s shows at the fairgrounds Lexington Ave is your friend. During big events Snelling can & will be a nightmare - take Como east to Lex and use that as your north/south connection. I live just south of the fairgrounds and avoid Snelling whenever possible during the fair and auto shows.

Have a great time!

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
172 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

If you are in the mood for Asian:

Little Szechuan - Chinese

Mai Village - Vietnamese

Krua Thailand are all on University and have excellent food. Check out their reviews on metromag.com

Also on Selby is Fabulous Fern's. Good food, dart boards, trivia and pinball in the bar.

The Happy Gnome has great food but a little pricey. They also have a huge beer list if you just want to go in for a drink.

University to 94 east, exit Dale you will find Sweeny's Saloon where they have a really big patio and is popular among the locals.

Bonfire Grill on Grand Ave has good food and dueling piano's for entertainment.

La Cuacaracha on Dale just north of Grand Ave has good Mexican.

There is also an excellent pizza place on Selby, Pizza Luce (pizzaluce.com). University to Selby, turn left. 1183 Selby.

Don't leave out West 7th street. Univ to 94 east, exit Kellog to 7th turn right. El Patio, The Liffey, Patrick Mc Govern's are all good choices and all have outdoor patios.

Looks like I got a little carried away :).

St. Paul, MN
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

Lunch has to be Nelson's Cheese Factory or Maverick's Roast Beef.

Nelson's: At the corner of Como and Snelling, you'll be within an easy walking distance. Excellent fresh sandwiches, salads, micro-colas, and (of course) cheese. I've never had a bad experience and am always thoroughly delighted by the experience. Also, the breakfast burritos are fantastic.

Maverick's: Hailed as the "Arby's of old," the meat is simply awesome, the buns are fresh, and the building freshly renovated. The owner is almost always in shop so the service and food are always top notch. Maverick's is just north of Larpenter avenue on Lexington (in the same building as Ol' Mexico).

Supper should take you away from the fairgrounds a bit (if you want to try something new).

Pizza: John's Pizza Cafe. Hands down, the best little pizza place in town. Its in a funny shaped building on the corners of Dale/Como/Front (that might key you in to the shape of the building). If you aren't familiar with the area, I recommend taking Energy Park (the road just south of Como on snelling) straight east. Energy Park turns into Front, and is a straight shot to the cafe.

Mexican: La Cucaracha is fantastic. The service might not be great, but as long as you don't get a booth in the bar, it's cozy (even if the benches aren't all that comfortable) and the food is great! If you like spicy (and I mean burn your tongue hot), the Pork Guisado Burrito is to die for.

Another stop would be Puerta Azul at Snelling and Fairview. Great Puerto Rican dishes will have you salivating at the memories. (I've heard rumors that they were closing though, which would be a tragic loss!).

Asian: a drive down University east of Snelling all the way to the Capital will give you a hundred Asian restaurants. My favorite is Saigon (at Dale and University), but my wife likes Hoa Bien (Lexington and University). Also Khan's Mongolian BBQ is fun, just north on snelling, take a right on County C and a Left at the next light it'll be on your right. It's a great place to try out different concoctions, cooked on an open grill (and I can get some really good spicy asian food with the 'make your own sauce' format).

Sandwiches: Cecil's Deli just north of Ford Parkway on Cleveland Avenue would make a fantastic place for supper. Some of the best sandwiches in town (rivaling even Nelson's - noted above). They close the restaurant at 8pm, so it has to be an early supper.

Everything else: Anything down Selby (east of Dale), Snelling (between 94 and St. Clair), and Grand (between Cleveland and Dale) are safe bets, with few exceptions (notably: the Wild Onion, while great for drinks, fails at food).

Dessert: Cafe Latte for gourmet, and the Grand Old Creamery for the best Ice Cream in town. Both are on Grand, Cafe Latte is on Victoria and Grand, and the Creamery is just a couple blocks farther east (on Grand and Grotto).

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
394 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

You have to go to Porky's drive in. Really fun place for people with classic cars. There are always a few hot old cars there on the weekends. And it is near the fairgrounds. you go south on Snelling leaving the fairgrounds and then you go right on University Ave. and it is down on the left about a mile. Very close!

There are some new restaurants in Rosedale Center off of Snelling Ave. as well. Granite City Food and Brewery is really good, but a chain.

I would go to Grand Ave. as others have suggested for a more upscale dining experience. I like The Lexington

http://www.the-lexington.com/

They have a great Sunday buffet for 15 dollars.

Have a nice trip!

10. Re: Restaurants near Fairgrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Saint Paul