We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Which Two Harbors hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westville, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

We (group of 5) are traveling to Minneapolis in about a week and thought about traveling on up to Two Harbors for a couple of nights. We would love to stay somewhere that we can enjoy the lake. I've been looking at condos and vacation rentals but would entertain any suggestions at all.

19 replies to this topic
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
242 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Be sure to walk the Sonju Trail from Lighthouse Point, watch for ore boats and tour the Edna G. and museum in the Depot, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

And definitely drive up to Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/touring/scen…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Two Harbors has their Heritage Days celebration going on starting on the 4th. We will be up there for a few days at their campground. They have the best concerts in the park. Last year people brought folding chairs and blankets, picnic baskets and bug spray. Such a fantastic time! We're a younger family and even our little kids enjoyed themselves. :)

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

At Gooseberry Falls, if you have an extra 15 min, walk all the way down to the lake, or, better yet, stop at Split Rock Lighthouse, and drive the car down to the lake. There's an awesome shoreline walk, and you'll see a small island / nature preserve.

Head a bit farther up, and just before Tettegouche State Park there's a drive up to a peak along the shore - can't remember the name, but it's to the right as you are heading north. Then at Tettegouche, park the car (free at this park), and walk out to Shovel Point.

I also like going to Temperence River State Park. You can park on the side of Rt. 61 (for free). Walk up the river a bit past the "cliffs" area, and you'll get to a point where the river & scenery looks like Montana and the move "A River Runs Through It". Then before leaving, walk down stream where the river hits the lake. Awesome beach for walking & picnic.

I do the North Shore each October. It's a special place for me.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
853 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Palisade Head is the name of the cliff overlooking Lake Superior, just before Tettegouche. ( It's just after Silver Bay.) Well worth the drive to the top.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

I love watching boats come into and leave the Duluth harbor under the lift bridge. There are not as many boats into and out of the Two Harbors harbor, but it is more amazing to see a 1000 foot boat finess in or out. Check the schedule of the harbors here:

http://www.duluthboats.com/

After that thrill, Split Rock and Gooseberry Falls are very cool and highly photogenic.

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Does anyone know if the road to Palisade Head is blacktop or gravel? We will be on a motrocycle.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
853 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Hondo, the road up Palisade Head is blacktop. It is a very narrow, steep road, suitable for only one car at a time in places. I.E Perfect for a bike! (Unfortunately it's not a very long climb).

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
853 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

To find Palisade Head, when heading up the N. Shore, after Silver Bay, (Signal light), there is a long open stretch of road, then the Americinn hotel, around the curve til you see the Palisade Baptist Church on the right, Palisade Head is just after that. There is a small parking lot at the bottom, they ask that you do not tow trailers up the hill, as it is very narrow in places.

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area

Thanks yucatan-we'll check it out next week.

Reply to: Advice and info for trip to Two Harbors area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted