We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i want to go by train from harrisburg pa

Carlisle...
1 post
Save Topic
i want to go by train from harrisburg pa

i want to travel from harrisburg pa to walnut grove mn by train or bus. can you give me information on that. i'm afraid of flying. i'm not sure who to contact about scheduling this trip

4 replies to this topic
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i want to go by train from harrisburg pa

You could start by checking out www.amtrak.com where you'd find that it would take a scheduled 33 hour journey from Harrisburg to the MSP Amtrak Station with 2 changes of train and a 3+ hour layover in Pittsburgh and a 5.5 hr layover in Chicago. Then you would probably take a Jefferson Lines bus from Minneapolis to Marshall which is the nearest city to Walnut Grove, and then would need to find transportation from there to Walnut Grove.

Any interest in renting a car once you get to Minnesota? That would be the easiest way to handle transportation. Also, if your interest is Laura Ingalls Wilder, you could also travel around to other sites in western Wisconsin and eastern South Dakota. If you don't drive there are LIW site tours (I saw a link on the Walnut Grove Museum site) that start in Hudson Wi. (near MSP) but they're not cheap.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i want to go by train from harrisburg pa

Afterwards I saw that you did mention "or bus" and that option would take 29 hours total with two transfers, and the price would be cheaper (I checked Greyhound).

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: i want to go by train from harrisburg pa

Have you checked with either a travel agency or an on-line travel agent ?

I would be hesitant to rely only on a free website to provide you with the requests you are looking for, if it were me.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i want to go by train from harrisburg pa

I posted mainly to provide an idea of the logistics and time involved with such a trip. I have booked safely for tickets with the Amtrak site, and I would imagine the Greyhound site would be reliable also.

Reply to: i want to go by train from harrisburg pa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Walnut Grove