We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Sisters for weekday lunch?

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two Sisters for weekday lunch?

We -- two adults, one hungry non-carnivore teen -- will be driving through Jackson soon, stopping for lunch. Is Two Sisters a good choice for northerners looking for southern cooking? It seems they have a buffet, which, if so, would be ideal. The Walthall's restaurant seems to be another possibility. Any advice appreciated.

Jackson, MS
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Sisters for weekday lunch?

I hope I'm not too late to respond to your question.

I, personally, do not like Two Sisters. While they have wonderful fried chicken and yeast rolls, everything else seems to be poured out of a can. And they're expensive too!

The Walthall is above average hotel food, although it is a buffet. (Mashed potatoes come from a box.)

My favorite "Southern" restaurants in Jackson are:

The Hungry Fisherman - Highway 80 between Ellis Avenue and the Metrocenter - buffet with fried chicken, fried catfish, etc. The best thing is the dessert table -- jam packed with all home made stuff. Meringue a mile high.

Hamil's - Highway 51 North between Ridgeland and Madison. Buffet. Great fried chicken and barbecue. Really good vegetables.

If you want to get a little more ethnic, Bully's on Martin Luther King Boulevard is heaven-sent. Scrumptious!

Three old-time restaurants: The Mayflower and The Elite on Capitol Street and Primos on Lakeland Drive. All serve plate lunches. The Mayflower and The Elite have fresh seafood. The Elite's rolls are melt-in-your-mouth, and they're famous for their enchiladas and veal cutlets with cream sauce as well. The Mayflower Greek salad is to die for, with mounds of fresh crabmeat on top. Also, the best salad dressing in town -- "comeback" sauce. Primos has good everything, but they've lost a little of their traditional Southern flavor. You can't go wrong with their baked goods.

Too far north
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Sisters for weekday lunch?

Thanks very much for your advice - just in time! From what you say, and from what I've read elswhere, Hamil's sounds perfect!