We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

Detroit
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

We are thinking of heading down for the 10/12/13 Texas A&M game. It needs to be a fun, special trip because MS will complete my goal of visiting all 50 states.

* It is an SEC game...would we be able to get tickets for around $100 each?

* What do we need to know to have a great tailgating experience as out-of-towners with no local friends to? We'd prefer wandering to take it all in, but is that acceptable?

* Any recommended private home/room rentals?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,382 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

Ole Miss is a beautiful place and has a great football tradition. The historic square where all the restaurants are located is close to campus and is also a must see. You will have a great visit BUT-

the traffic is crazy

tailgating is all over the grove according to family members

limited nice hotels in Oxford so book early- think they start booking in May but need to call them- Hampton inn and Holiday inn are not on campus but easy to get to campus

I personally have never tailgated at Ole Miss and avoid the football weekends like the plague when visiting family. We were there during Thanksgiving and left Friday night before a Sat. afternoon football game and the traffic was already insane.

Hopefully someone who does tailgate there will post with info.

lexington
Level Contributor
220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

Book a room as early as you can. Be prepared to pay a ridiculous rate---$200.00 per night and up for an average motel room. Do not book at the Day's Inn. It is a real dump.

If you just want to wander around for the tailgate, park over by the basketball arena and the new law school and walk over to the Grove. Plenty of people will offer food and drink.

My favorite restaurants on the Square are City Grocery and Ajax. Expect LONG waits at anyplace on the Square. Dress in Ole Miss colors (red and blue), or something neutral, and you will be treated better.

Tupelo, Mississippi
Level Contributor
256 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

Welcome to the SEC Aggies and Hope you had a happy Hotty Toddy visit! I suggest to some of my friends to stay just outside of oxford next time. Tupelo MS has great hotels. I suggest staying and partying in oxford, eat in their fine restaurants, then take the 40/45 minute drive to Tupelo after the game. Pontotoc may have a Holiday Inn Express and is a little closer to Oxford, but I don't know much about it. Not as nice as Tupelo Hotels.

south carolina
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

You may have already made your plans-- sorry I just saw this post. Ole Miss game days are awesome!!! You shouldn't miss a chance to experience the tailgating in the Grove on a game day-- you'll never see anything else like it! Everyone is so friendly- wandering is perfectly acceptable and you'll probably be invited to stop in for a drink at a stranger's tailgate! Even the football rivals are made to feel welcome- everyone is proud of the Grove and they want people to have a great experience.

We are from out of state too but now have a son there- he visited the campus, fell in love with it (so did we!) and never even applied anywhere else! 3 years later, he couldn't be happier and we LOVE to visit!

Traffic is pretty crazy on game day but is NOTHING compared to other, larger schools such as USC and Clemson (we are from South Carolina) - its really not that bad. If you are looking for a place to stay, we avoid the hotels (since there aren't many and the good ones are booked WAY in advance for game weekends) and rent houses or condos through Trip Advisor, College Weekends, etc. We've never had a bad experience!

Hope you enjoy your trip! Hotty Toddy!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

I went to Ole Miss for undergrad (CO 2005) and tailgating in the Grove is amazing. I hope you've booked early. You can also book hotels in Batesville (in addition to Tupelo as listed above). Hopefully your accomodations have been made for many months now as you wouldn't be able to find anything now.

In town, I'd try Ajax for sure. Their friend pickles are the best! For a quick bite, also try out McAlister's. The town is awesome and they take their football seriously. And just a tip -- we dress up for football games... men in khakis (minimum) and a lot with sports coats as well. Women in dresses or skirts. It's a southern thing. Hotty toddy!

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013

We usually stay in either Holly Springs or sometimes in Olive Branch. If you end up staying in the Memphis/Olive Branch area and approach Oxford from Holly Springs, consider getting off highway 7 at Molly Barr Road. Your GPS will probably recommend that you take University Ave. It will be a parking lot.

If you take Molly Barr Road, you can get pretty close to campus to find parking. You won't be able to park on campus without a permit. It is also easier to get out of town on Molly Barr Road/Lamar than on University.

I am meeting my son in Memphis and driving down on the afternoon of the A & M game. If you can get into town a couple of hours before the game, you can stroll through the grove and enjoy the campus before settling into your seats. I hope you see a great game and hope the Rebels can pull out a win. Have a fun trip!

Edited: 01 October 2013, 04:43
Reply to: Tailgating and visitor advice - Oct 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oxford