We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
40 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

We will be in Branson for 3 nights in late October. We hope to see at least 5 shows. We have yet not booked our hotel rooms. We need recommendations for the best shows and for a good hotel for no more than $100 per night. We are 6 people in our early 60's.

Popoo

Iola, Kansas
Level Contributor
59 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

What's your taste in shows? Country music, comedy, variety, magic? Do you want to stay on the strip and walk to some shows or stay further off and drive? There is so much to do in Branson it won't be hard to fulfill your requests I'm sure.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
40 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

MMichael171,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Country music is our first choice, but we'd like a comedy show as well. We'd like to stay on the strip and walk to a few shows, although we'll have a van and could get around if necessary.

Popoo

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
776 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

Our favorite country show in Branson is Clay Cooper's Country Express. He does traditional country, also current songs. Has a very talented band, a trick roper, lots of dancing (choreographed by his wife) and a very good young comedian. Roy Rogers Jr. has a great show, along with the Roy Rogers Museum in his theater. Roy sings cowboy music like his dad did. He tells a lot of interesting facts about his mom and dad. Pierce Arrow is a very diverse show, all types of music. And we think they have the best comedian in Branson.Something that you don't hear much about is a play called "Smoke on the Mountain". A morning show, with the theme being set in a 1940'ish country church. Lots of great gospel music and hilarious comedy! A new show in Branson that wasn't scheduled in time to get much advertising done is the Mike Walker Show. 5:00 pm in the MIckey Gilley theater. Mike is an impressionist who is awesome. He can do something like 200 different voices. If I'd closed my eyes, I'd have bet Conway Twitty was standing on stage singing ---- Mike is that good! We tend to stay in medium priced rooms as we don't spend much time at the hotel --- just want a clean, safe environment. ONe that fits the bill for us is Whispering Hills. Would probably run around $75 for 2 people. They serve hot cobbler, ice cream and fresh baked cookies in their hospitality room each evening. The breakfast that is included with the room price is biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, make your own waffles, canned fruit, cereal, toast, coffee, etc. As you are getting to Branson just when the BUSY time is really starting, I'd go ahead and get room reservations. Have a great time!

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
776 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

I just reread your post and see you said you want to stay on the Strip! The motel I recommended is not on the Strip. We tend to stay Off Strip, as it is quieter. Just remember, Branson is built in the hills, so there is lots of up and down hill walking if you choose to walk to the shows! But it's not impossible, lots of people do walk --- we just choose to drive. You hear lots of negative comments about the traffic, but it's not so bad. The important thing to do is get a map and familiarize yourself with the 'alternate routes'. They are color coded and you can usually navigate your way around Branson much quicker on those routes than if you stick to traveling on the Strip! Have a great trip!

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
40 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

To shis1,

Thanks for your many suggestions. I will take them quite seriously. I will check ouit Whispering Hills.

Popoo

Iola, Kansas
Level Contributor
59 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

Shows: Country Music type shows I think Mickey Gilley (www.mickeygilley.com) and Moe Bandy (www.moebandy.com) are top notch. The new RFD-TV (www.rfdtv.com/theater)theater will have Roy Clark on October 17 & 18. Roy Rogers Jr & the High Riders has a music show at the Roy Rogers Happy Trails Theater (www.royrogers.com). The Welk Resort in Branson will be hosting the Tillis Family Reunion, Mel & Pam + Others, from September 12 to October 20. The Lennon Sisters & Larry Gatlin & the Gatlin Brothers will be at the Welk from October 29 to December 07. The Oak Ridge Boys will be at the Grand Palace Theater on October 24 & 31 for 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. shows. There are also a variety of other County Music acts. The ones listed are better known and more popular.

Comedy wise, I think you will love Jim Stafford. He has music and comedy in his shows. Yakov Smirnoff also has a hilarious show. There are many variety type shows in Branson which combine comedy, dancing and some magic as well as the old originals like Baldknobbers and Presley's. To tell you the truth I have never watched a show in Branson I didn't like at least most of.

Check out www.bestreadguide.com and www.sunnydayguide.com for some specific Branson area ideas for shows as well as some coupons. You can also check out the Branson Chamber of Commerce website www.explorebranson.com.

Be aware that there are several companies out there that give you the time share runaround on cheap tickets etc. One that does not is the 2 for 1 Ticket place across from the fire station www.2for1branson.com

7. Re: Branson - Best Shows? and Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 12:19