We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for managing lines at Silver Dollar City

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for managing lines at Silver Dollar City

We're going to Silver Dollar City on a Friday in late July. We've never been before and would appreciate some expert advice. We have a fairly diverse group with the "kids" aged 4, 12, 17, 20, & 21. The rest of us are in our forties.

Are there any rides that should be gotten out of the way as soon as the park opens?

Are there any low capacity or slow loading rides where the wait can be surprisingly long?

The park is open until 7PM on the day we're there - do the crowds thin out close to closing or does it stay busy right to the end?

Any other tips? Has anyone come up with good touring plans for this park like they have for the Disney parks?

Thank you.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for managing lines at Silver Dollar City

I don't know of any touring plans for SDC but it is not anything comparable to a Disney park. The crowds do thin somewhat by the end of the day but with the evening show after the park closes, there are still many people there.

The roller coasters are most popular with the young adults and teens. I would advise doing those first thing to avoid longer lines. The 4 year old will love the kids area with the big playground, Merry-Go-Round and children's roller coaster along with a few other rides. You shouldn't have any long waits there at all. Everyone should enjoy Geyser Gulch too but no real wait times.

The slower loading ride would be the Lost River of the Ozarks. You will get wet but it's great fun for all ages. The lines there can get pretty long especially during the hot part of the day. Sometimes you have a longer wait for the train ride, but it's also good for all ages.

My son always loved the Flooded Mine and there is never too long of a wait there.

Overall, you shouldn't have many problems with too long of lines. Get there when the park opens and have a great time! You can also go early for a great breakfast buffet at Mollie's Mill and be ready right when the park opens.

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for managing lines at Silver Dollar City

In addition to the Lost River, the Powder Keg and the Toboggan both get long lines real fast. When we arrive we head straight for the Powder Keg. And normally there's a small line and they act as though it may be a while before it opens due to testing. So lots of people leave the line. (Why this "testing" is not done before park opening is beyond me.) So we wait it out and end up riding it pretty quick. Wildfire lines may seem long but they move really fast due to the number that can get on one car. The shows tend to fill up fast too. I can't say the magic show did much for me this year. Kind of boring. But if you're going to see them, I would plan on arriving at them at least 45 minutes early.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for managing lines at Silver Dollar City

You may want to split your group up since you have a 4 yr old. The merry go round and play area posted above was torn out a couple years ago. It was shaded. Unfortunately the remaining ride areas for the little kids are on concrete in the sun. Next to the Giant Swing is the Hi-Lo Silos. Popular for little kids but slow loading, few passengers and in the hot sun. In the corner of the park is called the Grand Exposition. The rides here are geared for children and your 4 yr old should be able to ride all of them. Some will require an adult with them so send the smallest adult. If you are all over 6’ 1” or over 225 lbs, good luck fitting. The Grand Exposition roller coaster here seems to have the longest lines in this area.

If you want to see when the rides open, show schedule, check the times under the brochure section of SDC. You'll also find a map. No need to print out as free copies of all are given at the gate.

I would suggest you buy a couple of the refillable mugs. The initial cost is high but the refills are cheaper. It will save you a lot, especially with specialty drinks. Also, I would take advantage of going in after 3 and getting in free the next day or go to www.reservebranson.com and order tickets, 2 days for the price of 1. Then if it is too hot or if the crowds get too large you can leave and come back. After the park closes, they have a 1 ½ hr evening show included in your park admission Tues – Sun. If you are also going to White Water, check out Silver Dollar City’s website for the summer 2 parks for 3 days at the price of 2 days.

Have a great time.

4. Re: Tips for managing lines at Silver Dollar City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Branson