We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic

The Roark Vacation Travel Club/Club Resorts Intervals LLC, owned by Mr. Gary W. Snadon, unfortunately is a SCAM. You pay big bucks and are promised that you will be able to book cruises, timeshares, rentals, and airlines for 30 to 70% less than anywhere else. You are also told that you can book motels and hotels for 50% off the highest rack rate. If you go to other travel sites and compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges you will find out that this is not true.

The presentation one attends in Branscam, MO at the Roark Vacation Resort, which is a timeshare resort owned/managed by Mr. Gary W. Snadon, is filled with false representations of what is available and prices that would lead the unsuspecting into shelling out money for this SCAM.

Under Missouri law you have three days to cancel the contract, but it is difficult to do so, or to get time to research on the Internet if you do not have a computer with you or access. You cannot log on the CRI Internet site to see what is available without a membership number which does not come for several weeks.

I would hope that the Missouri Attorney General once again goes after these travel clubs as he did in the past. Unfortunately, they pop up to make the quick buck to give Branson, MO a bad reputation and a need to rename the tourist area as Branscam, MO.

To all visitors to Branscam I would recommend not attending the Roark Vacation Travel Club/CRI presentation. For those who have been taken in by these folks, file a complaint with the Missouri Attorney General’s Office, your home state Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission. Be sure to dispute any credit card charges with the card issuer and do not give up. Maybe we as visitors can get action done to put these scammers out of business since the city of Branscam looks the other way.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

I feel you are being 'unfair to Branson'! Just because one thing is a scam, no need to label the entire area with the SCAM name! Branson is a wonderful place to live and vist......you just have to be 'wise' and pick your activities!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

Ever hear of "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't"? Surely people know not to give money up front for something they do not immediatly get in return.

I go to Branson anywhere from 5 to 10 times a year for weekend getaways, and have never been to a timeshare meeting. Especially if it is not a name brand that you have never heard of, why would you trust them, i.e give them money? Doesn't make any sense to me. But I guess there is a sucker born every minute...

By the way, every tourist town in America has scams. If you don't go to Branson because of this, don't go anywhere for vacation...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

It is unfortunate that you were scammed but like the other posters said, don't blame it on Branson. Branson itself is a great place to go. My parents lived in the area for 20 years+ and we always enjoy visiting there. Next time be more wise about your vacation planning. I understand you are angry and frustrated but to post something so negative about an entire town is really not right. I sincerely hope you can get your money refunded. Then return to Branson to see what a truly fun place it can be.

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

I'm curious, why did you decide to look at them in the first place? I get letters all the time asking for my personal information so some long lost departed relative living in an oversea country can deposit my inheritance. Then there's the, I've won the sweepstakes and all I need to do before cashing the enclosed check, is send some personal information or a small check. OR my favoite I've earned a luxury getaway in Las Vegas or a luxury cruise, all I have to do is pay taxes. Yeah right. Like the previous posters said, if it sounds too good to be true.... Timeshare people are all over the place, Branson, Florida, Texas, etc. I've found telling them I'm not with my husband, rather I am or not, sends them away quickly.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

Kansas Jack 1, Your post has information which should be passed on to the public but if you really want to pass on your opinion about this travel club, you may want to start a new thread with the name of the vacation club. Then ask TA to delete this thread. I think that would get your message out and would not unfairly make the entire community look at fault. It is not appropriate to "label" all of the hard working owners of the businesses as a scam because you are not satisfied with the services of one.

Since timeshare & vacation clubs have had "issues" in every state they exist in; I hope everyone considering these types of purchases take time to investigate first. This is not a "Branson" only problem.

I realize you are unhappy with your purchase but please do not insinuate the entire town is a scam by calling the city Branscam.

6. Re: Rename “Branson” to Branscam”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 06:19