We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

Hey gang! My friend and I are doing a road trip through the south and midwest around the end of November. We'll be in Branson on and around Thanksgiving, and will be doing the Dixie Stampede and a few other touristy things in the area. Then we'll be driving to St Louis...we've allotted quite a bit of time for this drive because we've both been to St Louis before and we'll only stop there quickly to visit friends. We're hoping to kill most of the time on the drive from Branson to St Louis...anyone have any good ideas? I have a "road trip USA" sort of book but it only points out main stretches of highway going up and down or across the country, and doesn't really focus on these random drives. We're willing to go about 30 minutes from the route unless it's a MUST SEE...then I think we'll go an hour.

Thanks for your help! I love Missouri and can't wait to return!

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

What sorts of things are you interested in?

Near Springfield, there's the Wilson's Creek Battlefield with some interesting history information as well as some beautiful walking trails where a friend and I saw deer, a hawk, and other animal wildlife on the trails there.

In Springfield, there's Bass Pro Shops, and that's really interesting to do once... it's fun to walk through and see all of the fish tanks and things like that if you've never done, but if you've done it before, I wouldn't really recommend it again.

Hermann, MO is also right on the way to St. Louis. It's a German city in the heart of wine country with many old, historic buildings, museums, wineries, etc...

Meramac Caverns near Stanton, MO is a very unique and interesting cave. From the mid 1800's to the early 1900's, the cave was known as "Jesse James' Hideout" and is very beautiful and fun to go through.

There's a few ideas for ya. Let us know what types of things you're interested in, and we can better help suggest things to do. I'm sure others around here know of other fantastic places to visit as well! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm into history so historical sites and museums are always a plus. We also love doing stuff that's totally random...caverns fit that category for us, and even fun time killers like go karts or other fun activities. We're literally up for anything!

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

If you are driving up Rt 44 then I would stop and visit Onondaga Cave. It is a state park and is in our opinion the prettiest one in the state. Lots of cave formations. Also the state parks of Johnson Shut Inns and Elephant Rocks are interesting. St James has a nice winery to visit.

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

Here's a link to historical sites and state parks.

http://mostateparks.com/statemap.htm

Horseback riding is always fun

http://www.meramecfarm.com/

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

Bennett Spring State Park near Lebanon is nice; Lebanon also has a small factory outlet mall and the Barrels of Fun museum. There are 2 or 3 wineries near St. James that are just right off the highway. Onondaga Cave State Park is open year around but cave tours end in October. The Route 66 State Park is just west of St.Louis right off I-44.

6. Re: On the road from Branson to St Louis - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:51