We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

We are thinking of coming to the Table Rock Lake/Branson area the end of May 2011. We will be traveling with a 7 year old and a 3 year old. We really want to stay somewhere with a view of Table Rock Lake.

We are considering Still Waters Resort as we stayed there about 15 years ago. I've reviewed their website and it looks even better then before.

We don't have any interest in the shows in Branson, more just the lake activities and swimming. Is late May to early for outdoor swimming? What about fishing conditions? We would like to rent a boat and do some fishing. Or maybe hire a fishing guide.

Silver Dollar City would also be on our list of things to do.

Any other suggestions???

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

The fish generally spawn in April, so May is usually not a bad time to fish. The water's still relatively cool, so the fish tend to be closer to the top, and they've finished spawning, so that's good too. For fishing guides, contact either the State Park Marina (417.334.2628) or the Indian Point Marina (417-338-2891). Both should be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I *think* Stillwater's outdoor pools are heated in the Spring and Fall?! You might call and ask. The air temp in May is usually pretty nice, but the water temp just depends. However, if we keep getting weather like what we have right now (60's and sunny), then the water will have no problems heating up by late May! ;)

Stillwaters is definitely a nice resort, and is right on the lake with good lake views. They also have boat rentals there, so you *might* be able to save a little bit of money that way. Just beware that they DO book up, so plan ahead. Also, if you're renting a boat, in the state of Missouri, all drivers MUST have been born BEFORE January 1, 1984 without a boater's permit. This includes jet skis. So, if any of your drivers aren't born before that date, then they need to get a Missouri boater's permit. I believe *most* places WILL take boaters' permits from other states, but I can't speak for all places. So, if this affects you, DEFINITELY look into that before going.

Edited: 13 March 2011, 05:27
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

THANK YOU so much for your response. We have checked in to Still Waters and I have been drooling over their website. We went ahead and booked our condo/room there. Hopefully, the outdoor pool will be warm enough.

Can you tell me where we find out about fishing licenses??? Do kids need them or just adults??? I think we have found a guide on the internet that we are going to use, just have to get in to contact with him.

One last question, we would like to see about getting a couples massage, however, since we will be traveling with small kids that will be hard. We found a place that says they come to you at your house, hotel, wherever. The place I found is called Branson Mobile Massage. Do you know if there are other places that do this type of thing also, or are they the only one? It looks legitimate, but the internet can be deceiving. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for your help!!! Now we are just counting down the days!!!!!!

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

15 and under doesn't need a fishing license. If you're not from Missouri, then fishing licenses are $7 per day, or $56 if you're planning on fishing for more than 5 days, or you plan to come back to Missouri and fish again before February 2012.

Sorry, I don't know much about massage places, unfortunately. :( If I'd known that you were wanting to do a couple's massage, I would have suggested staying at either Big Cedar Lodge or Château on the Lake. Both are also on Table Rock Lake, both have massage places within the resort/hotel and both have day activities for kids. If you hadn't already booked with Stillwaters, I would suggest checking out those two places to stay because that sounds like it might have worked out better for you. But, it sounds like you found a place that might work for you. I hope that it does! :)

Best wishes on your trip!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

Once again, THANK YOU, for your reply. Big Cedar Lodge and Chateau on the Lake look a little bit to "serious" for us. We prefer more of a down home, kid friendly place. I think Still Waters will fit us just fine.

I'll do some more checking on my own to see if I can find a massage place that comes to us. I'm just afraid that we may get something a little less then legitimate.

Again, THANKS for your help.

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

I can completely see why you'd think that about the château, but big cedar is about as kid-friendly as they come! LOL! They have lots of pools and activities for kids. The Little Cedar Kids Club has activities for kids like teaching them to fish, golf, ride horses, etc...

I'm not trying to steer you away from Stillwaters because I know that that's also a very fine resort. And, it's close to Silver Dollar City, which you also said you really wanted to do. Was just wanting to give you options because you said you were concerned that this "traveling" massage place might not be legit.

jeff city, mo
Level Contributor
157 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

We travel to Branson the last week of May every year.. Im not sure it will be warm enough to swim, but you might get lucky..

Our 2 year old loves the Fish Hatchery.. He gets a kick out of feeding the fish.. We also always make a stop at Lamberts on our way out of town. Fun atmosphere and great food.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

Oh, yeah!!! Lamberts is on our list. On our way in to town!!!!! We are very familiar with Lamberts!!!! Can't beat those "throwed rolls".

Hoping the outside pool temperature will be warm enough!!!!

THANKS!!!!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

Stillwaters is still a great place to stay. Always clean, great views. Free kayak and paddle boats. One of the 2 pools is heated.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

THANKS!!! I go and look at their website DAILY!!! We can't wait!!

THANKS for letting us know about the heated pool. As far as the pools, we are mostly looking forward to the "Oasis" pool with the zero depth entrance for our little one. But we will just have to wait and see what the weather will allow.

We are also going to be looking for a good deal on the tickets to Silver Dollar City and to the Dixie Stampede. Any hints where to get a good deal?

I think Still Waters has tickets we can purchase for 2 days for the price of one to Silver Dollar City. Maybe thats the best way to go.

THANKS everyone for the help and suggestions!!!!

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late May Family Vacation to Table Rock Lake/Branson???

I do recommend buying 2 for 1 tickets at your resort. And if you go after 3pm the first day, and then when the park opens the next day, and then when the park opens either the next day or the day after that, you can actually get 2 1/2 days for the price of one! You MUST go after 3pm the first day, and then go back the very next day. But if you're wanting to get the most "bang for your buck" as far as Silver Dollar City is concerned, that's DEFINITELY the way to go! :)