We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

branson after recent rains

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
austin, tx
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
branson after recent rains

We were scheduled to stay at Table Rock State Park from May 1 to May 15 and see several shows at Branson while there. We checked and the shows are still going on but since we like to do outdoors activities also, we didn't know if the area was going to be a "mess" for awhile after the flooding there. (closed trails, lots of mud and mosquitos, etc). It's not like we have to go there at this time so we're thinking of canceling. Anybody know what it is like there now and how long it will be to dry out to be back to normal

thanks

Branson, MO
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: branson after recent rains

The campsites might not be back to normal but all the other activities will be available. No mud, too early for mosquitos. Lots of other campgrounds available that are not affected by the rains including Compton Ridge, Twin Pines, The Wilderness. Go to the Chamber of Commerce website at www.explorebranson.com and they'll have a full campsite list plus all attractions, etc. If you want to come later I would recommend September - everything still going on and it's less crowded, usually great weather also. If you have your heart set on the State Park Campground you might want to wait.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: branson after recent rains

Barefoot - I heard that part of the Branson Landing is under water, how accurate is this? We are coming down the end of May and I sure hope the weather really improves by then!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: branson after recent rains

This won't affect you at the end of May. The flooding is only temporary due to the gates opened at Beaver Lake and Table Rock Lake. It will be over by the time your trip is here.

At the Landing, only what is right next to Taneycomo is under water. That includes the boardwalk, the fountain area, some parking and the street right along the edge. The board walk is the lower walk built along the edge of the lake and actually goes out over the lake by the fountain area. The level where the stores are is up higher and is dry. The stores are open at the Landing. The floating restaurants are closed along with the boat rides. The propane is also shut off on the businesses on the east side of the Landing so those restaurants can't cook currently but they are not flooded. The water is in the basement area below the stores which was built to hold flood waters. Once the water recedes they will be able to turn the gas back on and open as usual. They don’t have to shovel mud out like some of the residents will. They are built high enough. Boats currently are not allowed on Table Rock and Lake Taneycomo due to the spill gates opened. The news reported the spillway gates will probably be open through the rest of this week. If anyone comes in the next few days and they are still open, go see Table Rock Dam. It is very impressive to see and hear the water coming down the spill way.

Most travelers to the Branson area won't even realize the flooding is currently going on. Unfortunately some lakeside homes, businesses and docks are damaged. Some road closures too but they are mainly one's effecting local residents only. Only a few road closures will affect the tourists. Actually, at the Landing, a lot of people were like me, carrying their camera to take a photo of the light poles and signs sticking out. It is like the water flowing at the dam and has became another photo opportunity for tourists. I'm sure their are a lot of shoppers at the Landing that don't even realize the lake is high. I know their were last night. Branson is open.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: branson after recent rains

lovemycondo,

Thank you so much for such detailed information. I'm coming up with a friend this Friday and was worried. So the rest of Branson is ok, just no fountain show and they cancelled the fishing tournament this week, I guess?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: branson after recent rains

went and read some articles over at trilakes site mentioned on 1branson. saw that large section of the grass/topsoil had slid off the side of 165 just before the dam. it mentioned that the north bound lane on 165 (going over bridge) had been closed, anybody know if it has been opened back up or if it will be open by this weekend?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: branson after recent rains

Landing:

Since the news only shows the flooded areas, many may think the entire town is underwater so I thought a detailed explanation would help a lot of future visitors. It is very tragic in some areas. Some people lost everything that are in low lying areas.

Traffic over the dam:

One lane is supposed to open this morning. The news reported they will have a light on each end of the dam so it will handle traffic in both directions.

Fishing tournament:

I have no clue about the fishing tournament but I assume it would be canceled. I know they are keeping boats off both Table Rock and Taneycomo lakes for safety reasons and also to help keep the wake down. The docks of course are all off limits as their cables are straining. Some docks have broke loose. The shore line is higher of course so I really don't see how they could have a tournament. I don't fish so I can't be very helpful.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: branson after recent rains

Fishing update: They reported on the local news tonight boats and fishermen are out on Table Rock Lake. The spillway gates are still open so this is different than what they were reporting earlier when they said no one can be on the lakes while the spillway gates are open. So you may be fishing this weekend after all. I assume only certain areas are allowed.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: branson after recent rains

I'm not actually one of them fishing. I was just wondering, since the final weigh in is supposed to be at the landing at 3pm Saturday, and I didn't want to be down in there while it's so crowded.

It must be going down faster than they thought. I found an article yesterday, after I posted, that said they had cancelled the regatta fishing permits for the tournament.

Thanks again for the details, and the info on the dam. Was wanting to go ahead and drive over that way. We always stop at Point Overlook while in Branson.

I know it's a hard time for people up your way, and seems silly to be asking all these questions when peoples lives are being so badly impacted. We didn't want to cancel tho, I figure some of them can use the money from our shopping trip.

Just hoping we can get up there without running into flooded roads down here on either hwy 65 or via Batesville and Mtn Home, whichever way we end up deciding to try. Haven't seen any closings, but it's hard to find detailed current info. Just a bit unsure since some of 65, which is the way we usually come up, has some pretty low valleys.

9. Re: branson after recent rains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 08:17