We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on route leaving Branson

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin,TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on route leaving Branson

Not sure if anyone can advise on this. We will be leaving Branson and continuing on to Mountain View. Mapquest gives me two routes that are very similar in time and mileage. Both start the same but branch off around Harrison -- the "Northern" route takes us through Yellville, close to Mountain Home, and then through Calico Rock and down to MV. The "Southern" route takes us through Marshall and Alco and then up to MV. Any thoughts on which would be better? By better I guess I mean more scenic or interesting.

Thanks for any insight.

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on route leaving Branson

I have driven both routes more times than I can possibly count. I would take US 65 south to AR 14 and turn left. Go about 14 miles and stop and visit the Ozark Medieval Fortress -- a castle being built using Old World methods. Craftsmen wear period dress and use tools from the past.

http://ozarkmedievalfortress.com/

Then continue on 14 to the Yellville Summit area where you will pick up US 62. Continue on to Mountain Home and get on AR 5 and go south through Salesville (take a 2 mile side trip to visit the fish hatchery and Norfork Dam).

Stay on AR 5 down through Norfork, Calico Rock, and on into Mountain View.

A good place to eat is Jo Jo's Catfish Whart at Jack's Resort on the White River just north of Mountain View. Food is much better there than at Anglers.

Austin,TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on route leaving Branson

Thanks! I had thought about stopping at the Fortress -- sounds crazy and interesting. I appreciate the advice. We are looking forward to our trip.

3. Re: Advice on route leaving Branson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 12:16