We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one of the abba shows?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Which one of the abba shows?

Dear All, I am going to Branson this october to attend a convention. I am looking to see a few shows. I found 2 similar shows- Dancing queen ABBA's Greatest Hits at the Kings Castle and ABBA Tribute Thanks for the Music at the God and Country theater. I can only do one of these. Any opinion as to what is the difference between the two shows? Difference between the two theaters?

I looked at googlemaps and seems to see that the theaters in general, have parking. Can anyone confirm these? Are there theaters that I should avoid because there is no parking. Thank you very much.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

Not familiar with the shows you asked about, but I can confirm that all theaters in Branson have free parking. The only hotels where you might have to pay for parking would be the Hilton at the Convention Center and the Landing. In fact, none of the attractions in Branson charge a parking fee!

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

Both ABBA productions are new so it's hard to make a recommendation. The Kings Castle Theater was recently rebuilt and renamed after it was hit by a tornado in 2012. The God and Country Theater is an older theater.

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

For some reason, TA wouldn't allow me to 'edit' my earlier post, so here is a bit more........

I have never been in the Kings Castle Theater, but do know that it received much damage during the Leap Day tornado which hit Branson in Feb of last year. The theater was closed for most of the 2012 season while extensive repairs and renovations were done. So it should be a 'nice' theater! On a downside, I've heard complaints about 'canned' music in that theater, so if a 'live band' is important to you, you might check that aspect out. I have attended shows at God and Country. That building was originally built to house a movie theater and they have 3 small theaters there. I have been in 2 of the 3, and you are 'up close' and in an intimate atmosphere. I believe this is the first year for the particular show you are asking about, would also be suspicious of 'canned music' there. If you are looking for a 'ticket deal' I suggest you check out Branson 2for1 Tickets. You go there,, give them your money, and they give you a voucher which you take to the theater and exchange for your ticket. Not exactly 1/2 price, but close, and they ARE NOT associated with the timeshare industry, something you should avoid in Branson!!!! We have used 2for1 for years and have always had very good experiences with them......most theaters do not have location restrictions when you use vouchers from 2for1, we have gotten front row seats many times.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

shis1 and biscuitcreek, thank you for your kind replies. It is good to know that there is parking at every theater- and free at that! Guess I'll just have to as the coin as to which show I will see. Head or tails?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

I can't speak on "Dancing Queen" at the King's Castle Theatre, as I haven't seen it, and don't know much about that theatre. But, I did see "Thank You for the Music", the ABBA show playing at the God and Country Theatre, as they had a limited engagement there last summer. Glad to hear they're returning. I thought it was fantastic, and I highly recommend it. It was high energy, and a ton of fun. The singers were really good, and there was quite a bit of dancing, etc. There was a some comedy and ABBA history mixed in. I also really enjoyed the lights and video projections. There was no live band for the show, which at first was dissapointing, but frankly, that didn't bother me, as the tracks seemed to be very high quality. The show focuses much more on the personalities of the performers and the vocals in the music. Lot's of great harmonies! It all worked together very nicely. We met the performers afterwards and they were extremely personable. All in all, it was a really good show experience. My husband and I would definitely recommend it!

Note: Try to park closer to the theatre, as the portion of the parking lot behind the theatre slopes down. We were a little winded walking up the hill, but then again, I'm out of shape! Ha!

Edited: 19 February 2013, 03:07
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

LoveShow. Thanks for your review on an ABBA show. Since there are no other reviews on the other one, I gues I'll have to go with the one you mentioned. Thanks!

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

The "Dancing Queen" show at the King's Castle Theater opened yesterday and I was lucky enough to see it. It's a fantastic production show with 2 guy/2 girl singers and a cast of 5 guy and 5 girl dancers. All very talented. They do all the popular ABBA songs along with a few hit songs from the 70's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

vacationchic, thanks for your reply and review. Good to know that I can go to either one and not be disappointed.

Blair, Nebraska
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

Did not see A Tribute to the ABBA's but we saw Dancing Queen: Music of the ABBA's, April 12. It was great! Very young, no name performers but with loads of talent. Four singers doing the ABBA's and six or eight dancers and, probably, canned musical backups but, hey, who cares! Lots of coreography (sp?) and stage production. Aboout the most "high energy" show we have ever seen! And they did a lot of other 70's hits, all sounding like the original artists. They only recently came to Branson from other big name venues.

Our second fave show (after Joseph)!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one of the abba shows?

thanks lv2trvl.