We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

branson with kids

duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
branson with kids

We are taking our kids, ages 2 and 4 to Branson for a quick Memorial Day getaway,and was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to activities that they might enjoy. We are staying at the Grand Country Inn, which has an indoor waterpark. Anyone stayed here before? Also, does anyone know a way to get discount tickets for places like Dixie Stampede and Silver Dollar City? We thought this would be a cheap vacation with the kids, and it's going to cost $140 for us and our 2 kids (who don't eat hardly anything) to eat at the Stampede, and at least that much to go to SDC, which I heard didn't have much for kids as young as mine anyway! Any suggestions??

Searcy, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: branson with kids

I've never stayed at the grand country inn, but have heard good things about it, and with the water park it will be worth it. silver dollars new grand exposition is suppose to be good for small kids, But celebration city is cheaper and is more like a state fair. It is only open 3 in the afternoon till 10. There is a web site and the store location is across the titanic that sells tickets 2 for 1.

http://www.branson2for1tickets.com/index.html

your 2 year old is free at silver dollar city,

celebration city has a family fun meal deal, you get admission and a meal for $27.70 adults and $19.97 for children 4 and over. Guess your four year old could still be three....LOL..

missouri
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: branson with kids

We have stayed at Grand Country Inn 3 times with our grandsons, 11 and 4, and they truly enjoyed it each time. Not a fancy hotel, but we have always been satisfied with the room's cleanliness. They have a good pizza buffet on site and I think your kids are young enough to eat free!. Our boys also liked Dixie Stampede. Never been to Celebration City, but were in Branson last week end and visited with some people who said CC is not maintained as well as SDC, although same people own both places! We used the Branson 2 for 1 ticket center last week end, and it worked fine --- not a timeshare! I think they require you to pay with cash. Memorial Day Week end will be a really busy time at SDC as Ricky Skaggs will be putting on a concert out there, so traffic from Branson to the park will probably be horrendous! We would go EARLY (like 8 am) and eat the breakfast buffett in the mine, really good food for a buffet, price is reasonable, and you would beat most of the traffic going out there. It is usually a 15 minute drive from Branson to SDC, but on heavy attendance days, I have known it taking up to 2 hours. Your hotel is on one end of the 76 Strip, so you will be wise to travel the red, yellow or blue routes to get around in Branson MM Day week end. These routes intersect with Route 76 in numerous places and allow you to get to most any venue rather quickly by avoiding that stop and go traffic of 76. Your hotel will have free maps showing these routes! SDC has opened a new section of rides this season (10 rides) and we had friends down there last week end with a 4 yr old and a 10 month old and they thought the new section is great for families with sm all kids. Have a great time in Branson!

3. Re: branson with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2006, 21:12
duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: branson with kids

Thanks for the great info! I will definately check out reservebranson.com and the other places suggested. I've been hearing a lot about the traffic in Branson. Should we plan on a lot of extra time to get places, especially on the holiday weekend? Also, I've read about the cave in SDC, aren't there other caves in the area that we could see? (My four year old is obsessed with batcaves lately, and will probably fully expect to see Batman flying around.) Thanks again for the great info! I can't imagine taking a trip without tripadvisor!

Level Contributor
239 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: branson with kids

As far as caves go, you will have to carry a two year old a LOT thru the SDC cave. There is a really cool cave at Springfield, about 45 minutes away, that you RIDE thru, no walking required. Fantastic Caverns. Branson is really not cheap, especially Steal your Dollar City.

nebraska
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: branson with kids

we are going in 2 weeks with 3 kids. how about adding the fish hatchery and the dam to your list? both free!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: branson with kids

We've been to the cave numerous times since our kids were small. They had no trouble walking the whole thing when they were 4. You know the abilities of your child so use your own judgment. If he's into caves, I'd bet he'd crawl through it if he had to!

Some other fun things that our kids, now 9 & 13, always enjoy are

Treasure Island mini golf and White Water. Even on MM day weekend, WW isn't that busy. They have great areas for the little ones. In fact, it's where I prefer to sit and watch. Raintree Island is awesome for those ages. They can run and play on slides and water features for hours and they love it.

Enjoy your trip!

Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: branson with kids

We too are planning a getaway in Branson. I have searched everything available on this very subject. Some places in SDC kids eat free. Go to the site and look at the city pass, it is a good deal for a family and you get a discount for the Stampede. We stayed one night at the Grand County Inn. Honestly, my kids did not enjoy it. It is so crowded! Check out the entertainment book online for Branson, it is a book of discounts and coupons for Branson.

Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: branson with kids

FYI: Springfield is close and the large Bass Pro Shop and Free Train Musuem is there. The bass pro shop has several fish tanks and feeding times.

kansas city mo
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: branson with kids

FYI2 We visit Branson 1 X year and our kids Love to stop in Springfield at Incredible Pizza. It's their favorite thing on the trip. The fish hatchery and SDC are always fun. The lake is our favorite in Missouri. If you can rent or borrow a boat or just go to the beach.