We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa
3 posts
Save Topic
My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

I just got back from the memorial day weekend trip to Branson. I must say the traffic is just awful. You would think they could do Something about it one of these years.

We stayed at The village out at Indian point where Silver Dollar City is, The village has some nice Condos but any place out there is a big problem because of all the traffic from Silver Dollar City. I took my Son and daughter inlaw fishing on Saturday Morning.I told my wife I would come back to pick her up at lunch time . I called her at twelve and said I am on my way. I arrived a hour and 15 minutes latter. I got stuck in the traffic of people going to silver Dollar city abot 8 miles of 2mph traffic. We went to eat that night we were going to Landrys Sea food house .Guess what ? We got stuck in the traffic of People leaveing Silver Dollar City.I guess Silver Dollar City owns The Indian point road because their employees stop the traffic so they can let their patrons out of their parking lot . So we finally make it to Landrys and I had a rude waiter .Won't be going back there and by the way they give french fries Instead of a baked patato .If you want a baked patato its a 1.99 more. That got my goat .

Also they make one salad for the whole table to share .

Well anyways we leave there and get stuck in traffic again finally we get out of town and are driving towards Indian point when I get in bumper to bumper traffic again about 5 miles from the condo. I'm thinking its 11:00pm . We finally get up to where the problem is . Its the Sherrifs department blocking the road with a sobriety Check point looking for drunk drivers.

Needless to say If you want to avoid traffic stay in town .The lakes beautiful but the traffic will drive you nuts.

New York,New York
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

Coming to Branson for the 1st time? If not, wake up... traffic is always bad in Branson, it's what you call a tourist town. It's so funny to see people on vacation in a bad mood because of traffic, or the hotel is out of their budget, or the theatre had a funny smell, etc, etc. etc. If you don't want traffic problems, stay off the strip stay away from Silver Dollar City, might I suggest something north of the strip, they have nice hotels and condos over in that area as well.

Peace,

Debbie

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

I think you also have to take into consideration that it was Memorial Day weekend, one of the busiest times for Branson. My parents were also in Branson this past weekend and mentioned that traffic was about as bad as they had ever seen it.

For those planing to visit Branson, it is extremely important to get a map of alternative routes. These maps can be found at about any hotel in town and some websites also have copies.

bransontourismcenter.com/mapofbranson.htm

Lastly, lets face it. Branson is a small town with a LOT of visitors. You WILL get stuck in traffic, espicially areas such as Indian Point and SDC where there is only one way in and one way out. Case in point, about 10 years ago I got stuck on 76 going to SDC during the Christmas season. It took us almost 3 hours to get from HWY 65 to the SDC entrance. Thank goodness I was with good company. lol Just dont let the traffic ruin your vacation.

Branson,Missouri
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

Memorial Day weekend was also the first opening of the new 420 million dollard Branson Landing development and I am sure that contributed to an addition influx of visitors for the Holiday weekend.

Traffic is heavy in Branson but it IS a tourist town and 99.9% of the visitors seem to grin and bear it and just enjoy their vacations and the activities.

I revel in the fact that people complain and go to Branson anyway.I might suggest that you vacation in the middle of Arizona,Wyoming,Utah,Montana,New Mexico or perhaps Colorado.But then you'd find something to complain about there too,I suppose.Me thinks it might not have been a rude waiter that was the problem.

Des Arc, Arkansas
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

I too spent the Memorial Day weekend in Branson. Usually the holiday weekends are the times we go to Branson. Yes, traffic was busy, but if you use the alternate routes it's not too bad. We stayed at the condos at Thousand Hills and the location was perfect for getting around. But we have also stayed out on Indian Point many times and never had that much problem with traffic. We went to Celebration City, Silver Dollar City, the Showboat Branson Belle and did lots of shopping. The only long wait we had was getting out to Silver Dollar City on Sunday, and it wasn't that bad. We used an alternate route that took us to within a mile of the turnoff at Indian Point. So, don't let the traffic keep you away from Branson. Just get a map and use the alternate routes and leave a little early if you have to be somewhere at a certain time. It will definitely help. We're looking forward to a return visit later this summer!

Linn, Missouri
Level Contributor
573 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

We were down over the weekend and I didn't think it was that bad. If you use the alternate routes to get around, you will find that it's not that hard to get from one end of the strip to the other in a matter of minutes.....

I have to agree with the pp's. Branson is a busy place and is a small town, traffic is just part of it and never really bothers us down there. You just know you have to plan for it.. I would advise not staying near SDC next time.

Also, anyone else go to the Landing and was disappointed? I couldn't believe how few shops were really open. And literally there was only 2 places to get drinks on a hot day. I think it will be awesome though this fall when the weather is nicer to be walking miles on concrete without shade.

amanda

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

Sheerhunk, we were in Branson the week of May 22nd. We didn't have any problems until Friday evening, then the traffic really got bad. We took alternate routes whenever we could and didn't have too much trouble. We went to SDC Thursday and didn't have any problems... I imagine Saturday would have been a nightmare.

Wolfeaj, we went to Branson Landing the day it opened. We knew all of the shops wouldn't be opened, but we wanted to see it. It will probably be great this fall.

Missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

We also went to Branson and SDC over Memorial Day weekend. The traffic truly was awful, but everyone was still pretty easy going and attempting to have a good time. Sunday morning it took us two hours to get to SDC from our hotel on 76, but we chalked it up to a late start and the misfortune to have a hotel on the main strip. I can assure you we left our hotel for SDC alot earlier the next morning, and ran into no traffic at all. Better planning, Better day!!!!

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

If you get to silver dollar city before 8.00 am the is alot less traffic, You can arrive before they open the main park and go in and eat breakfast at molly's mill. And there is an entertainer under the gazebo to watch till the park gets going.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

These are definitely the posts I giggle at - no offense - but traffic is part of it. Unless you know the back roads make sure you have plenty of time and good tunes. I actually enjoy the traffic - I know it's a crazy thing to say - but sitting and talking with my family in the car before we get to an attraction is part of the quality time I enjoy. There's a lot to see while you're stuck to - the scenery changes every minute with characters and families walking the sidewalk and it reminds me of all there is to do in Branson - you'll definitely never miss a site from going by it to quickly lol. I read somewhere Branson was the 3rd worst city in the entire US for traffic. Just put on a happy face. :D

10. Re: My memorial day weekend trip to Branson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 14:18