We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission, Texas...
Level Contributor
51 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

We are looking into visiting Branson, which month will work best since we are from south Texas and not use to cold weather or driving in the snow. We are planning on driving making one stop in Dallas overnight to rest. I read some past post and we are leaning more towards January, is there still alot of shows to see, I tried looking and I didn't find any info, also how bout outdoor activities and of course silver dollar? We will be there for 7 nights so we would like to do all the musts. Thanks

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
776 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

If you are wanting to do a lot of 'Branson activities', Late December or January would not be a good time to make the trip. Silver Dollar City will not be open in January' but will be open in late December. Most of the shows will close in mid December, I can't think of many outdoor activities that will be open either. There will be some hotels open, but the majority will be closed. If you are wanting to see several shows, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed in your options in late December or January. Branson will be 'reopening' in mid-April.

Mission, Texas...
Level Contributor
51 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

Thank you so much, I was afraid of that after trying to search for any information. I think we're gonna have to switch our vacays either early December or April

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
776 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

Early Dec or April? I would choose early Dec! Seeing Silver Dollar City all decked out for Christmas is worth a trip! Of course, it can get bitterly cold out there after dark, and you HAVE to stay till dark to see the Christmas lights at their best! Most all shows will still be running the first week or 2 of Dec and may not be open in early April. And the theaters change their shows during the Christmas season. Most of them pick the 'better parts' of their regular show for the first half and then do a Christmas show after intermission. One exception to this would be The Hughes brothers show. Their entire show is devoted to Christmas. We've not seen this one but it does get good reviews. Our favorite show in Branson is The Clay Cooper show. Mainly country music, but not the cornball country. Lots of Conway Twitty songs and some current country, good variety of entertainers. A 10 year old girl who is awesome! Clay has an awesome report with his audience. He is an awesome entertainer and has a very talented cast of 20 behind him. (And he is a Texas boy!). We spend a lot of time in Branson ----if you have particular questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them for you.

Mission, Texas...
Level Contributor
51 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

Thank you, do the roads get icy? How hard is it to drive during December since coming from Texas we are not use to winter driving ( ice, snow) we are not too worried about it being cold, we would be prepared for that. Thanks in advance

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
776 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

It can get icy in December, but later in the winter is usually worse. Hard to predict. We were in Branson end of Feb in 2013and we had ice one day and the entire town shut down for 1 day......we didn't leave the hotel for 24 hours, but then it melted and everything was back to normal. The countryside in and around Branson is quite hilly, so if it is icy, driving can be an experience. I don't want to discourage you from seeing Branson during the Christmas season, as it is beautiful, but it is impossible to predict whether you'll have to drive in ice and/or snow. Anything is possible. And hard to predict!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
481 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

Silver Dollar City is magical in December (and November). If there is any chance you can go in November, it might be a good compromise. If a real bad storm hits, driving will be difficult, but it would really be a pain anywhere. It will likely be cold in Dec. Some times we've visited it's been tolerable, other times freezing. Get a cabin and cozy up in the evenings :)

7. Re: Branson in December or January coming from south Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:17