We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

Hello, I am considering giving my parents a trip to Branson for their 40th Anniversary. They are in their 60s and 70s but they get around fine as long as they don't need to stand in lines for 30min or longer.

My main question is: how is the traffic? I remember going to Branson 15-20 years ago and it took an hour to get a few blocks. Has this gotten better?

I am considering sending them for two nights in the fall when there will be less kids at the attractions. I'm thinking of the Stampede Show, Sight and Sound Show, and the Titanic Museum, but I have only started looking at all the shows, so I am open to suggestions.

I am worried because I heard that the Stampede Show can be "pushy" about taking/selling photos and this would upset my dad if there is a hard sell. Can anyone elaborate on how the photo part really goes?

My parents like museums, so the Titanic sounded like a winner as long as there aren't kids all over the place knocking people over. But it sounds like it is more of a reading museum, than a playground.

Do you have any other suggestions? I think Silver Dollar City would be nice, but I don't think it would be a good value since they wouldn't be able to spend their whole day there.

I am trying to stay a bit on a budget... I love my parents, but if I can keep the price reasonable, I can throw in a lunch and dinner gift card and really make it a full vacation for them.

Or is Branson a bad idea altogether for an older couple? We are in St. Louis, so maybe there is another trip idea out there?

Thank you for any suggestions or ideas!!!

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

A Branson trip is a wonderful idea. As far as pictures at the Stampede, we attended that show twice last year, and I don't think photographers are high pressure people! They take your picture as you enter the arena. The pictures are brought to your table, prices are explained to you. They leave the pictures with you for a while and return later to see if you want to purchase or not; a simple 'no', he took the pictures and left without trying to convince us to buy them! Another good museum is the Ralph Foster Museum at the College of the Ozarks. The admission charge is nominal ( less than $10). We like it much better than the Titanic, but just our preference!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

First of all, what a nice thing to do for your parents! Traffic is still an issue on the strip in Branson. However, of course, the worst traffic would be during a holiday weekend and also at night when all of the shows are letting out. We like going to the Dixie Stampede and have never had an issue of them trying to "push" the sale of pictures on you. As a matter of fact, you don't have to even have your picture taken if you don't want to. I think they would probably enjoy the Titanic Museum (a little expensive in my opinion). There is a lot of reading to be done, but you can also get headphones to wear and they narrate it for you if they don't feel like doing that much reading. If they enjoy a good steak dinner that won't break the bank, you might think about getting them a gift certificate to Montana Mike's. They really have good food and VERY reasonable prices too! They are located right on the Strip.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
897 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

Traffic is a lot easier to get around in now that they have the different routes going around Branson. Red route, blue route, and yellow route. 76 highway is pretty busy at certain times but these routes make getting around easier.

Branson, MO
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

Are you kidding? Branson is a GREAT idea for your parents (and you). Dixie Stampede is a great show and they would definately enjoy Titanic. 'Jonah' at Sight & Sound Theatre is a GREAT show. Other recommended shows: Clay Cooper, Presley's, SIX, Duttons, Shoji Tabuchi. They would also enjoy the Showboat Branson Belle. Best time in the fall is late Sept or October - very few kids and the weather is much better. Peak season for fall foliage is mid-October. Pre-buy your tickets and tell them not to stop at any 'Offcial Welcome Center', unless it's at the Chamber of Commerce on Hwy 248. All others are time-share sales. Lots of good information at www.explorebranson.com.

5. Re: Branson Gift for my older parents... suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:16