We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down season August 16-23?

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Down season August 16-23?

I am planning to come to Branson for a few days this week as it is a week between when my son's summer child care shuts down and before school starts up again. However I see that a lot of shows are closed that week (some even on the weekends) and Silver Dollar City is closed on the weekdays. I saw at least one hotel listing that week as closing their pool for maintenance as well. Is that week really such a low season week? Any advice on visiting that week - what will be open, will crowds be low (or high on the weekend at SDC since those are the only days)?

Branson, MO
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Down season August 16-23?

This is the first full week that schools are back in session so the crowds are down considerably and some of the shows/attractions take a break. However there is still LOTS to do. Take a look at this link on the Chamber of Commerce website - scroll down and you can see everything that is open on each day of that week:

www.explorebranson.com/itinerary/trip/57970

Hope this helps - you shouldn't have any trouble keeping busy!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Down season August 16-23?

Schools are back in session on Aug 18th? Where - MO? In MN most schools don't start until the day after Labor Day which is why it's confusing to me that things are closed 2 wks before we'd go back to school. Will things be really crowded on the 16-17th then with people having a last hurrah (Labor Day weekend things would be really crowded where I'm from)?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Down season August 16-23?

Most schools in Missouri go back during the first couple of weeks in August now. As Barefoot as said, there will still be LOTS of things to do in Branson!

Linn, Missouri
Level Contributor
551 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Down season August 16-23?

Most schools local to us start back around the 13th or 14th, so I would guess the 16th and 17th should be quieting down. I don't think you are going to see large crowds then. Even with somethings closed you will find more than enough to do in the Branson area. Anything specific you are hoping to do other than SDC?

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Down season August 16-23?

Arkansas schools also start August 18th. The majority of Branson visitors come from AR, MO, OK, KS, LA and in most of those states school does start in mid August.

There are some attractions that may be closed or operating on a limited schedule during your timeframe but there is always plenty to do in Branson. I have been to SDC on weekends in August and it wasn't overwhelmingly crowded.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Down season August 16-23?

Minnesota is one of the few Midwest states that start school after Labor Day. The reason for that is the resort owners have concerns with decreased revenue if school started in August and the MN State fair attendance would be down as well. SD and IA also start school in mid-August.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
42 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Down season August 16-23?

We are going that time too. Here's a few good things that aren't closed.... Take the tram ride, or a Segway ride, or a bicycle ride at Dogwood Canyon. Take the Ozark Sightseeing cruise from Brandon landing! and do the sunset cruise so you can have perfect views of the light and water show on the boardwalk.... Have dinner prior to at one of several restaurants there.... Get tkts to Dixie Stampede, a good show for the entire family. Take a self guided tour on electric carts at Top of the Rock, which is beautiful views, a cave, and wildlife too! Make reservations through Big cedar lodge. You can rent jet skies, pontoon boats, and all manner of watercraft on table Rock Lake. The Chinese Acrobat show is amazing! Grandparents, dads, and little kids all loved! play putt putt at pirates Cove Adventure golf, it's the best one there in my opinion. Rent a cabin at Indian Point, there are numerous resorts with pools and water sports. There is the College of the Ozarks which is really a must do, it's very unique and while there get a homemade ice cream from fresh milk. The students don't pay tuition,they work at the school, growing veges, tending cows, etc... And ride the Duck tour is great. ThenImax theatre is good to do in the heat of the day, and there is the Ozarks Train Ride too... And if you are adventurous do the family ziplines!

8. Re: Down season August 16-23?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Branson