We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

Bartlett, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary in Branson. This is our first week-long trip without children in 16 years! We are active/sports people and enjoy water activities, hiking, scenic walks, kayaking...

Which Lake(s) are the best for swimming, water skiing, cliff diving, hiking with scenic views of the lake?

We love to ask the local's where the hidden treasures are and usually the waitstaff at local restaurants know where to go.

I would also like to know about a great spot to watch the sunset overlooking a lake.

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

There are 3 or 4 companies that offer zip lines. Branson Zipline and Canopy Tour north of town probably has the largest set up. There is horseback riding at Bear Creek, Shepherd of the Hills, and Uncle Ike's.

Kayak Branson out by the state park offers trips on Table Rock Lake and Lake Taneycomo. For cliff jumping there are areas on Table Rock although the Corps of Engineers does not care for that activity. There are hiking/biking trails at Table Rock State Park near the dam. Lakeside Wilderness in Branson offers trails as does Busiek State Forest north of Branson. You might want to check out Dogwood Canyon southwest of Branson for hiking, biking, etc. Table Rock State Park marina as well as others on Table Rock offer boats for rent for water skiing, etc. Table Rock is the warm water lake while Taneycomo is the cold water lake. Bull Shoals Lake is also nearby.

Within a short drive of Branson is canoeing on the Buffalo River. There are also some cave tours in the Branson area.

Hope this is enough to get you started.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

I'd like to recommend Dogwood Canyon. It was beautiful when we went. We saw two bald eagles and there is a stream that runs through. You can feed the trout. They have bikes to rent along with Segways. It's very pretty there and not to far I don't think.

http://www.dogwoodcanyon.org/

Bartlett, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

Thanks so much for your replies, we have plenty to get started with.

When you mention warm and cold lakes, are you implying that both lakes are labeled as such because they border 'uncomfortable' in their respective temps.?

We are not afraid to drive up to an hour or so if there are other attractions/activities within an hour or so if they are worth the drive.

If we rent a boat, which lake is the largest? We would like to spend the day on the boat eventually watching the sun set from the boat if they allow the boats out that late.

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

Table Rock is the largest and it is a warm water lake -- suitable for swimming, water skiing, jet skiing, scuba diving, bass fishing, etc. Lake Taneycomo is known for its cold water and trout fishing. There are all day boat rentals at several marinas on Table Rock Lake -- just to name 2: State Park Marina and Indian Point Marina. Dogwood Canyon is about an hour's drive from Branson.

Bartlett, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

Thanks again! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. We are celebrating 25 years so I am trying to learn as much as I can about the area to try and make it memorable.

Have a good weekend!

6. Re: Active adults looking for outdoor adventure in Branson area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16