We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

STL
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

I’ve been put in charge of finding a place for my family to stay in Hermann, MO next summer for a wedding, and the couple isn’t being overly helpful with information. We’re considering the one motel that’s not currently for sale, but we would like to find a B&B with 4-6 rooms that will allow children.

Any recommendations a good comprehensive website that would list prices, # of rooms, restrictions on children, amenities, etc.? This is the closet site (http://www.hermannmissouri.com/bandb.htm) I’ve found to what I want, but these limited descriptions aren’t overly helpful. The Vinchester Inn would have been my first choice, but the wedding party has scooped it up.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a specific place that might work for us? Our party consists of

-Two Couples w/o kids

-One couple w/ a 15 mo old

-One Couple w/ an 8 year old & a 5 mo old

Kansas
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a place were all four couples can stay- besides the hotel. My husband and I stayed in Hermann for our anniversary last year, and I researched all the different places to stay. We rented a house. Here is the website. www.hermannguestsuites.com

Two of the couples could stay in the guest house, but the suite only accommodates one couple.

I found this using this site. If you click on availability you should be able to search for suitable accommodations.

http://www.hermannmo.info/lodging/

Campbell Hill...
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

Ck out this one: http://www.angels-in-the-attic-inn.com/ We go to Oktoberfest every year & stay at a different B&B every time to get the experience of all the different places. We walked into Angels in the Attic & had a tour of the house last year, but unfortunately it wasnt available for the weekend we need it for this October. It was a very lovely Inn & the people were extremely friendly letting us check the place out. Another large B&B is Birks Gasthaus. Phone: (573) 486-2911. It's a large place. Not as elegant as Angels in the Attic, but it was definitely a nice B&B. The Hermann Welcome Center will help you out tons. http://www.hermannmo.info/ They are always very helpful with all of our questions.

Overland Park
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

Check out the Captain Wohlt Inn. I know they have two different rooms that accept children of all ages, one even has a nursery with a crib. I haven't been able to stay there yet(during Octoberfest it gets booked up crazy fast), I've missed out the last two falls. I have been in contact with the owner via e-mail regarding different things about the inn, etc. He was so gracious and informative-check them out if you can. Oh, they have their own website it is www.captainwohltbandb.com

STL
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

I've learned my lesson now!! AVOID THE WOHLT INN!! The owner is horrible to deal with. The way he treated me today, I cannot believe how many have suggested this place. Two days after I made my reservations, he sent me an e-mail trying to make all these adjustments to it.

I talked to him before booking and all seemed well, but two days after the fact, he contacted me to say that I COULD NOT have the rates I booked because they were loaded wrong. I still don't know how that's my fault! That’s called “your bad, your loss,” dude!

Secondly, although I had already given my credit card and I agreed to their standard $20/room cancellation policy as part of the reservation, he announced that I was also subject to a sizeable non-refundable deposit because of the # of rooms I booked.

However, from what I understood had I made several reservations of two rooms each, this could have been avoided. Um, hello, if you mentioned that as part of the reservation process like an upstanding business person, I could have worked around it or dealt with it. But it’s not ok to tell me this after the fact.

He refused to even negotiate with me on either issue. Before I could even ask to have my reservation canceled, he rudely OFFERED to do so. Never did I detect in his voice that he realized he was even mildly wrong.

He did send me an e-mail confirming I was canceled free of charge (the one point of light here...) and said he was "sorry we couldn't come to an agreement." Agreement?? What agreement?

He wouldn't consider compromising with me even though it was his lack of information on his website that caused all of this!!!! The only agreement would have been for me to say, "Sure disregard my reservation and I'll agree to whatever terms you want!!" NO WAY!!

Oh, but supposedly he’s at least adding the deposit info to the website now. Glad to be the one to point out you have to tell people stuff like this before they give you business.

Having worked in the travel industry for years, it blows my mind that anyone thinks these are acceptable business practices. Guess what buddy, you just lost four guarenteed rooms, I just told my whole family that’s going to the wedding not to consider you, I’m telling all my friends who could be going or might know someone who is not to stay there, and you lost MY potential return business.

Hermann used to sound like a fun place to visit, but I don’t think I’ll ever consider it an option for a pleasure trip.

Farmington, Missouri
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

For a fantastic weekend getaway, please consider (if you haven't already):

1) Any of the winery accommodations between Farmington and Ste. Genevieve. There are about, what, 5-6 unique wineries concentrated in this area? You can even stay at a B&B that's also a tiger sanctuary (+ one lion).

2) Ste. Genevieve is kind of cool. Not much nightlife, though.

3) Stay at any number of places along the MKT trail-- Sedalia, Rocheport-- St. Charles even, in your neck of the woods.

Unfortunately, I've dealt with odd behavior from B&B proprietors before, as well. Usually it's offset by the good experiences from many of the vendors, but I'm sympathetic to your experience.

warrenton
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

Just for your info, both hotels in Hermann are forsale.

7. Re: Need Help Finding a Place to Stay in Hermann, MO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Hermann
More Hermann Topics