We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

Which Vladimir hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

Hello everyone. This is a little off topic for this forum, but I couldn't decide where else to post it.

I have an upcoming trip to Russia next month. Originally I wanted to cover Southern, Central and Northern Russia then realised I was pushing my 30 day Visa to it's limit. I've instead turned my attention to smaller towns in the Golden Ring of Moscow after my return from Volgograd, but am really struggling to come up with the best route to go around it. I'd like to go to Rostov Veliky, Kostroma and Vladimir (in this order), then back to Moscow. Is this route possible by train? If not, can anyone suggest the best route to get around to each of these cities/towns? Is Rostov Veliky in Rostov, or Yaroslavl?

Edited: 04 June 2011, 19:49
17 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

There is no direct train between Rostov Velykiy, Kostroma and Vladimir. My suggestion is to take the overnight train Moscow (Yaroslavskiy railway station) - Kostroma (№148, 10.20 pm - 05.00 am). For moving from Kostroma to Yaroslavl (Rostov Velikiy is near Yaroslavl) it's better to use bus (about 1.5 hour): 6-00 (monday), 7-20, 9-10, 10-55, 13-20, 16-40 (except friday), 17-10 (friday, saturday, sunday), 19-05. It will be better to buy a ticket in the morning. Bus's departure from Yaroslavl to Rostov (and back) happens each hour from 06.00 am till 06.00 pm. The time is about 45 minutes. Bus from Yaroslavl to Vladimir: 9:35 am and 05:55 pm. The time is about 5 hours. And it's definitely not a problem to move from Vladimir to Moscow by bus or train.

I hope, it will be useful for you.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

Sorry, second bus from Yaroslavl to Vladimir is at 03.55 pm

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

Thank you very much Sith, this is extremely useful!

Is there any way we can somehow incorporate Sergiev Posad into this journey plan instead of making a seperate trip from Moscow? (although I hear it's only 1hr 30m long anyway) just to save time?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

Well... you can, but if you don't speak Russian it will be complcated. Even if you do, I'm not sure this is good idea. Separate half-day trip from Moscow looks better in my opinion.

P.S. Kostroma - Rostov - Vladimir is a two-days trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

I wish I could speak Russian, honestly!

Do you think I will have great difficulty with the Kostroma - Rostov - Vladimir trip if I can't speak Russian? I was hoping to write down a good few phrases and place names in cyrillic and point to them if necessary. Even at the risk of looking like an idiot on the bus, it's better than nothing right?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

> Do you think I will have great difficulty with the Kostroma - Rostov - Vladimir trip if I can't speak Russian?

Well... Trust me, they definitely won't eat you alive because you don't speak Russian. I traveled through South America without Spanish, Portugese or English and it was still possible and interesting. But a bit difficult, of course. It's not easy to find any Russian-speakers in small Peruan or Brazilian town. ;-) I highly recommend you to learn Russian alphabet at least. This mission is not impossible, and it will be very useful.

> I was hoping to write down a good few phrases and place names in cyrillic and point to them if necessary.

It's good idea. If you want I can help you with it.

> Even at the risk of looking like an idiot on the bus, it's better than nothing right?

Don't worry, you will just look like foreigner ;-) People around you won't be smiling every minute like in some countries are, but it doesn't mean they are unfriendly.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

> It's good idea. If you want I can help you with it. <

That would be excellent, can I PM you?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

What does "PM" mean? Sorry, my English is not perfect ;-)

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

According to Google Translate PM is an abbreviation for Saint Pierre and Miquelon ))) Are you inviting me there? )))))))))))))))

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir

Hi Sith :)

PM on TA stands for a "private message" - a (conditionally) private correspondence tool that TA members can use to get in touch with each other one-on-one off the public forum tripadvisor.com/help/what_is_private_messagi…

(In other words, "личка" ;)

Edited: 07 June 2011, 20:56
Reply to: Rostov Veliky - Kostroma - Vladimir
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted