We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

Hey wonderful travellers,

I'm flying into Puerto Vallarta with my boyfriend, cousin and young niece over the holidays in December and am trying to figure out the best place to stay. We are not resort types and love to get off the beaten path a bit. We're looking for some Mexican culture and good local food mixed with nice beaches, snorkelling, beginner surf and a bit of nightlife.

I've heard amazing things about Sayulita but am worried that it will be too touristy for our liking. Are there any towns further North that fit the bill? We're also not opposed to having a base and renting a car to tour around if that's best.

Thanks!!

12 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

We spent a few days with our kids around Christmas in la Penita and everyone had a great time.

We would head over to Guayabitos for beach time but mostly we liked exploring la Penita. The small stores had lots of extra pinatas made up for the holidays so we strung one up in front of our bungalow and were able to get to know many of the locals that way.

Out one day trip to Sayulita was enough for us, way too touristy even 15 years ago.

We have never rented a car but if there are some backwoods places you want to visit a car might help.

Edited: 15 October 2017, 22:04
Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

Guayabitos is the best beach town in the area north of PV. The southern end is safe for toddlers and as you go north you will start getting some more wave action...There must be 40 beach front Hotels and Bungalows( includes kitchenette) in all price ranges. Other nice towns are San Pancho ( for surfing ) and Chacala a little father north. Here is a site for the Riviera Nayarit that describes many small beach towns and fishing villages.....I put it on the Guayabitos page but you can move to any other town that interest you...Hope this helps.

www.rivieranayarit.com/rincon_de_guayabitos

Sayulita
Level Contributor
850 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

I think you might be a bit too young to really enjoy Guayabitos, which really caters for an older crowd. Chacala is very pretty. La Penita isn't touristy at all but the beach there isn't great, in my opinion. (It shares the same bay as Guayabitos, which has a better beach.) Any nightlife in these three towns is pretty much geared to an older, retired crowd.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

If your goal is to find something not too touristy, I wouldn't recommend traveling during the Christmas break, as all places will be busier than normal. Guayabitos is nice, but it really is for an older crowd. I'm not a fan of gated communities. Lo De Marcos is nice and quiet, and Chacala as well may fit your preferences. San Pancho is a nice town and is generally quieter than Sayulita, but it will be busy at Christmas as well.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

Not sure where HarryP and JeffBtravel get there information from, probably not the hundreds of families that visit Guayabitos weekly with children of all ages. Not sure what is meant as an "older crowd" maybe it is the Mexican families who bring everyone including grandma. There is no gated community in Guayabitos although there is a nice residential section in town with an ecological park. suerte.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
850 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

I guess I get my information from having been there, and finding 60+ foreigners, immigrants (aka ex-pats) and restaurants and bars that cater to those people. The weekends are great with huge Mexican families coming to the beach that is excellent for the kids and the elderly, as there are no waves (in Guayabitos). My opinion is that it's not the best place for younger people who want "a bit of nightlife".

Sayulita
Level Contributor
850 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

I forgot to mention that my opinion is based on having stayed in Guayabitos for 5 weeks, a block off the beach. I wasn't judging based on a day-trip or two.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

I have only been in Guayabitos for 10 years and I do not go to ex-pat bars like you seem to frequent. I believe if you were to visit the beach area by the residential section you would see waves. Maybe not the surf able ones like in Sayulita but good enough for boogie boarding. There are at least 2 clubs along the main avenue with live music and dancing for the younger set, so there is " a bit of nightlife"

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
99 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

Fun to see a lively debate between the Sayulita and Guayabitos fellers. As a twice a year visitor to Sayulita, I would say Guayabitos certainly is more "off the beaten path" than Sayulita. But so is San Pancho, with a day trip into Sayulita an easy jaunt.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?

Thank you all for your advice. Seems to be quite a debate about guayabitos - will have to check it out for myself:)

JeffBtravel I agree that travelling during the holidays is not ideal so am well prepared for almost anywhere to be bustling.

Reply to: Nayarit in Dec - where to stay that's not too touristy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted