We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Salulita

Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Safety in Salulita

Is this area safe for American tourists?

17 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Salulita

ABSOLUTELY. It is a friendly little village, along with all of the Puerto Vallarta area.

If anyone is telling you that this area is not safe, it because they have not been there.

They are ignorant.

I don't think that anyone who has been there would tell you that they didn't feel safe.

Crime can happen anywhere, but it's not a war zone.

I believe that this area is safer than the east coast of Mexico

Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Safety in Salulita

Thanks so much. I would really like to spend a week there.

Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Salulita

Then you should!

Have you been to Puerto Vallarta area before ?

Sayulita is a small village but gets busy with tourists,

Not a lot (for me)to do, other than enjoy the atmosphere & flavor. Good place to relax.

There are several options for day trips by bus or by car to see some other interesting villages.

Lots of other threads about Sayulita to read and feel free to ask more questions.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
4. Re: Safety in Salulita

A Spanish girl and Mexican girl have been assaulted in the last few days. The guys had machetes and attacked the girls on a path to the beach. They had a friend (boy) with them that was unable to help them. 4th September 2018

Level Contributor
520 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Safety in Salulita

What's your point Delm ?

Unfortunately there can be random crime ANYWHERE in the world.

Sayulita is not a dangerous area. Have you ever been there ?

Did anyone get assaulted in Sydney recently ? Melbourne ? Perth ?

any other crime happening ?

Should tourists avoid going to these cities ?

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Safety in Salulita

Just got back from a week in sayulita and (boy and girl under 30 y/o americans) and WOW. What a friendly and beautiful city. Not once did we ever feel unsafe even walking home buzzed from mezcal at night. We met so many friendly locals and other couples visiting! We loved every minute of it and cant wait to go back.

7. Re: Safety in Salulita

Yes, there is crime everywhere in the world but it's rampant down there right now and I'd definitely be worried about getting robbed! It's an epidemic down there with a handful of break-ins and robberies every day. The local police do nothing about it so the locals started a renegade run security team with guns that patrol at night and try to catch burglars on roofs. I was robbed of more than $5k worth of electronics I stupidly brought down there as I needed to work. They robbed us when we were having dinner in the home which is the scary part. Worst of all, we felt it was an inside job as they knew what to get and where it was. otherwise why would they risk coming in when we were there vs out of the house. The property management team AVLOS REALTY did not come to check us in, warn us of the severity of the very well known situation, take precautions or any of the necessary steps to make sure guests are safe. They didn't even come over to check on us that night or the next day when they learned what happened. All of the locals talk about how bad it is daily, it was the #1 topic of conversation while we were down there.

CRIME is rampant there and there are other reviews of property management teams removing robbery reports and reviews. Don't bring anything nice with you down there, they even stole my Lululemon work out pants!!! Old Navy disposable clothes, no Iphones or jewelry of any kind.

Edited: 04 October 2018, 16:49
Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Safety in Salulita

Been going for years since our kids were little, never felt unsafe.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Safety in Salulita

Down there? Sayulita or Mexico, in general?

Chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Safety in Salulita

WOW. I am so sorry this happened to you. This was in Sayulita? Were you staying remote from town or in the touristy areas? Thank you for sharing.

Reply to: Safety in Salulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted