We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dollars or pesos

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
dollars or pesos

Do taxis, surfboard rentals, and restaurants take US$ or should we change $ at the airport? Leaving on Friday...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dollars or pesos

Most places will take US dollars but, traditionally, it's 10:1 pesos for dollars and (I just looked), banks and exchange houses, as well as ATMs are currently trading for at least 12 pesos to the US dollar. If I were you I'd get pesos. There are two ATMs at the airport. (need 4 digit PIN). These are usually the best rate.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dollars or pesos

oh yey! good timing for us :). thanks a lot!

seattle
Level Contributor
67 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dollars or pesos

The peso is now about $13.10, you will probably get about $12.90. Just returned from MX and was there for a long time.

Go to the bank when you get there or an exchange office. You will see the posting of the exchange amount. Also I think it is very important to take along a bunch of $1 bills US. I used these for various tips, and when I did not buy from a vendor, sometimes I gave them one and they were very greatful. Take 2 credit cards and lock one of them in your room along with your passport. Use your credit card when you can, and always cross out the complete number leaving the last four digits on their copy. You will get a better exchange with your card but the credit card company will charge you 3%. Try and purchase everything in pesos quotations. If it is marked in US $ have them tell you how many pesos. They will generally go back to $10 pesos per dollar and you will be ahead by 30%. Have fun

Seattle, WA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dollars or pesos

They will take it all right but you will be paying much more than necessary. they usually exchange at 10 pesos to a dollar. Three weeks or so ago, in PV, the best exchange was 12.70 for a dollar while in Sayulita it was 10.90 pesos for a dollar. So that can be up to 27% less value for your dollar.

I would recommend either getting pesos in US or at Puerto Vallarta if you can.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dollars or pesos

Very few business in Sayulita accept credit cards and I do not recommend that you use your credit card at all. You can use your debit card to withdraw pesos from the ATM's. This will give you the best exchange rate and because you'll be drawing out the cash every few days you will never have a really large sum of money on you or end up with a lot of unused pesos in the end. Besides the ATM's in the airport we also have several in Sayulita. The ATM's in Sayulita with the lowest transaction fees are the HSBC machines, there is one located just outside of the Chocobanana restaurant beside the plaza. Have fun!

6. Re: dollars or pesos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 00:18