We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayulita's flood update?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Sayulita's flood update?

I was wondering how Sayulita is fairing after the devastating flood in September.

Have the damage to their roads, bridges and homes been repaired or somewhat repaired?

salt lake city
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

We just got back the other day, it was our 1st trip so I can't compare what it was like prior to the floods. We stayed at casa momento on the playa muertues (sp?) side which was apparently not as hard hit. When we arrived the road to out casa was quite muddy but had significantly dried out by the time we left. The "dead" beach was pretty rough in some spots though & the water was quite cloudy. Like I said we don't hv anything to compare it to, but we were with a friend who had been there 4 yrs earlier & he said the difference in that time was quite significant. There is also a small river / stream flowing into it that caused us some concern as it had almost a greenish tint to it & when it entered the ocean was somewhat disturbing. The main sayulita beach, had similar cloudiness. One women I spoke with had talked to a local dr & was told her to be careful with her children as the bacteria levels were 5x their normal level.

I certainly don't hv any intention or desire to hurt local businesses but as I hv children these are certainly things would want to be aware of. The town is

certainly charming & there are many grey deals to be had, ESP now as the town is suffering. We had a great time with our friends & kids walking though town visiting the stores and local

markets, buying fresh fish & vegetables and taking them home to cook while out kids swam. Btw our casa was wonderful, we had a blast, is was super roomy, well designed, decorated & equipped and really reasonable in terms of price.

As I said I don't want to hurt the local but in some ways it was rough on my 8 & 5 year old kids as there was alot of sand and rocks in the water and we all got pretty scrape up over the week. If you've already booked though, it would be great for surveys or if you don't mind breaking it up wth day trips. We had a great time in pv for a day, we did the wildlife adventures dolphin tour - best part of the trip!! A day in punta pita, 1/2 south & the water was clear. And a day in San poncho, the town itself wS smaller & seemingly hit even harder, but spent the day atthe costa Azul? Resort and had a great time eating & drinkinG by their pool. Hope this helps

Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

Overall, Sayulita is fairing wonderfully. Most of the town was unaffected by the floods, it was the low lying areas next to the rivers that suffered. The new footbridge over the river is in place and considering we've never had a separate footbridge there it's a nice addition. The previous poster visited in mid-October, it's normal that we will have cloudy water and muddy roads during that time of year simply as a result of the rainy season. The most recent sea water testing for bacteria count was done on October 12th and the results were just 30ppm, that's a very good result, with counts of 200 or more there would be an advisory for people with impaired immune systems and very young children but 30 is very safe for anyone.

www.cofepris.gob.mx/wb/cfp/bahia_de_banderas

I don't agree that the town is suffering, the high season is officially kicked off on November 1st so the town is still in preparation mode, the annual street cleaning just took place the other day, a lot of the small shops are getting ready to open their doors for the season, and everyone is busy painting and cleaning just as we do every year at the end of rainy season.

We're looking forward to a great season with occupany rates much higher than last year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

Great info, landing there on the 6th of November for 2 weeks

looking forward to it,

Encinitas, CA
Level Contributor
87 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

We're down here now; some mud and debris around the edges, but most all the core is pretty much back to normal. Old pedestrian bridge finally knocked down; new one just opened. North end of town still seperated from south by direct root for cars. Beach cleaned up. Services back to normal. Just lots of homes close to river that perished. Seems like things are gearing up for high season as always.

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

Was just there last week - if you're expecting the beach of old...don't be fooled. It took heavy damage on and the surf has changed plenty since the last time I was there. Town is coming back to life, surely, but people need to be honest about the beach. It needs some serious time and repair.

West Coast
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

can you expand on what is going on with the beach? and other stuff around sayulita? thanks Kate

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

My wife and I spent a day in Sayulita Nov 11. As we walked into town from the bus stop, along the river, there were still areas needing cleanup from the flood. Away from the river, other than some construction and renovation work, the town looked good. The main beach still needs some work. Although I couldn't find the water quality posted anywhere, I did swim and did not suffer any ill effects. There were lots of surfers and swimmers in the water.

I did book a surf tour with Mike N. from WildMex. He took us out to LaLancha, a beautiful beach south of Sayulita. We had a fantastic day. The beach and the breaks were awesome. If you're looking for a great surf instructor, Mike's your guy. Just ask for the Grande Gringo Guero... big, blond gringo?

Mike suggested the water quality and surf breaks in town would repair themselves somewhat over time. With a little help from the locals he expects the beach will be repaired at some point. We look forward to seeing the improvements when we go back in March.

Sayulita is a cool little town and we wish them the best.

Toronto
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

Hi

We are recent home purchasers in Sayulita and just got back from our first trip down since the flooding. We have been enjoying Sayuita for 6 years and this trip was no different. The beach is a lot different from what it was when we were there in June as the flood deposited tonnes of sand and rocks on the main part of the beach.

There is a lot more beach than there used to be and a lot of rocks but it didn't take away any enjoyment from our time there. We rented beach chairs on 3 occasions and watched the surfers most of the day and spent a lot of time in the water swimming. The water seemed the same as it always was and none of us felt the water was unsafe. It was great. We are not surfers but there were lots of beginners and seasoned surfers in the water. We also saw whales one morning playing in the bay.

We had guests with us that had never been to Sayulita before and they would not stop talking about how great it was.

Everything else in town seemed the same to us, we had some great food at our usual haunts.

There was nothing that would make me hesitate about going or sending anyone to Sayulita. The only dissapointing time was having to come home.

Visit and have a great time.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

A think a person’s assessment of the beach depends on whether they surf or not. For the majority, the non-surfers, the beach is great, sun, sand, lounge chairs and cold beer…perfect. Apparently the new shape and extra sand has changed one of the surf breaks though so the surfers are disappointed, still fine for beginners though and one could argue that maybe it’s even better because the avid surfers are running over to the less populated breaks like La Lancha, Punta del Burro, etc. so there’s not as many sharing a wave in Sayulita. As far as water quality is concerned, it’s terrific. The results may not be posted on the beach but they’re readily available online from two different government agencies. The Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources semarnat.gob.mx/playas/…info_playas.aspx and from a division of the Federal Health Department www.cofepris.gob.mx/wb/cfp/bahia_de_banderas

10. Re: Sayulita's flood update?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita