We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

Level Contributor
66 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

I will be arriving PV on Wednesday and need to travel to Sayulita alone to meet up with my group. I am debating on whether to take the public bus to save $ or get a rental car (which is pretty reasonable) to provide flexibility. I am not concerned about the actual driving but wondering which option would be safest for a woman traveling alone?

Thanks!

Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

Both are safe but unless you want the car for other reasons I can't see going to the trouble, or expense, just for the purpose of getting back and forth to the airport. You do have a third option, which in my opinion is the best for somebody that's not entirely at ease with renting or taking the bus. For $130 USD (roundtrip) you can have one of the transportation companies pick you up in the airport (holding a sign with your name), whisk you away in a Suburban, stop at a supermarket if you wish for anything you might need (groceries, suntan lotion) deliver you to Sayulita, then pick you up at a pre-determined time on your departure date to return you to the airport.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

The bus is safe, lots of local women and children ride it everyday.

Cost about $5 dollars (you will need pasos). I love the bus lots of local color. There is a bus stop right across from the airport arrivals (a walking bridge over the highway). You don't need to worry about missing the Sayulita stop it is the end of the line.

colorado
Level Contributor
728 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

Bus is great, and safe! 25 pesos each way.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

We always take the bus from the airport to Sayulita. I would feel comfortable doing it alone even at night. (what time are you arriving?) When you get out of the airport, you cross a pedestrian bridge that goes over the highway. Watch for the bus with Sayulita in the window. Double check by asking the driver as well. Sayulita is the last stop on the route so you don't have to worry about watching to get off. The first time, I sat up near the driver. It's full of families and folks who work at the airport etc.

I felt totally safe. Once in Sayulita, unless you want to tootle around, you really don't need a vehicle.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

I agree that the bus would be a good option, unless you have luggage. There is no place to stow luggage and you may not get a seat when boarding at the airport. If you have more than a backpack or small carryon that you could hold or put on your lap while riding, I think it would be best to use an airport transport service.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

Traveling as a single woman many times to Sayulita I have used both the public bus and the taxi. On both I felt safe. While waiting for the bus many of the local taxis have stopped to try to negotiate me into their taxi but after a few times of smiling and saying no thanks and being a bit hassled, the lovely locals waiting with me at the bus started to get mad at the taxis and shoo them away before I had to say anything.

I started splurging on an airport taxi just because sometimes I have had to wait a while for the bus, and I just want to be in Sayulita as fast as I can (about $40USD one way a year ago).

bay area
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

Hi, I am planning on taking the bus from the airport to Sayulita this week.

Does anyone know

1. how frequently the bus runs between airport and sayulita? Is there a schedule posted online?

2. Does the bus make many stops in between? How long does it take (we get in at around 3pm)?

Thanks much,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

You exit the airport and go across the pedestrian bridge to wait for a bus that is marked "Sayulita". Ask the driver as well,I was under the impression that they are about every 15-20 minutes. Not a long wait. The duration varies but I think it's about 45 minutes. It stops a lot. Once, it was very busy since there must have been a shift ending at the airport or something and there is also rush hour. But it's very relaxing, cheap and sort of fun way to start your holiday. Each time we've taken the bus, the end of the line was Sayulita. I don't know if that is all the time - perhaps someone else knows that-but it means you can just relax and not have to pay attention to stops.

west falmoth, ma
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

hi- a friend and myself will be arriving in PV Wed. as well on Delta at 12:30pm. If you are around the PV airport at that time- perhaps we can all meet up and take the bus together? I don't have a profile, but will try to sign up right now. Not too sure how we can contact each other.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus or rental car from PV to Sayulita for a Single Woman?

Welcome, dafenita! You can contact other TripAdvisor members easily by sending them a Private Message. Just click on the person's name which is under their picture. This will bring up their profile and you can click on "Private Message" on the left side of the page. (When someone has sent you a PM, you'll get a message at the top you your page when you sign onto the TA.)

Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
Recent Conversations