We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

We are going on our first trip to Sayulita with our entire family and are going to be staying in a rental home. This is the first time we will not be staying on a hotel property in mexico and we were curious if safety is ever a concern in the town. We have heard very little about Sayulita so any information would be helpful, we have kids ranging in age from toddler to early teens.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

I would walk down the darkest alley in Sayulita before I would walk around on any street in Chicago.

It is SAFE,SAFE,SAFE

Edited: 31 December 2011, 02:10
Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
694 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

We live in Sayulita and have rental properties in Sayulita. What we tell all our guests, and anyone visiting, is to lock your doors and windows when you are out; if there is a pool, lock the door to the house when you're down by the pool; keep everything you can in the safe, which hopefully is provided in your rental property. Really, the one and only crime in Sayulita is 'break and enter' of rental properties, because people think they're in paradise and don't take the usual, normal precautions that they would take anywhere else in the world. the streets, the entire town, everything is wonderfully, beautifully safe. As 'cravethewave' said, you can walk down the darkest alley in Sayulita...it is safe, safe, safe. Just lock up your stuff at home.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
212 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

We traveled to Sayulita last year with 7 kids aged 6-14. They all had a blast. We took the precautions of locking our villa when we weren't in it and closing gates, etc. We felt fine with our older kids walking around town during the day to get food, shop etc. My son had fun surfing with some of the local kids, too. They were really friendly with him by the weeks end. Follow your instincts and use the same precautions you would in any city here in the US. I hope you all enjoy Sayulita as much as we did!

Madeira Park
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

We are considering a trip there next December and I'm curious about letting my almost 16 year old daughter out and about by herself or possibly with a friend of the same age, generally I think it sounds like a lovely safe town but a mom always worries a bit...

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

We were just in Sayulita December 2011 for 2 weeks. I had my 3 daughters aged 16-19, and one of their friends with us. It is no problem for the girls to be out in pairs during daytime hours, it is a busy town. Some days the girls would go to the beach on their own, and meet us later for lunch or dinner. Like at home, later at night I'm a believer in safety in numbers, but we really had no problems, and have never had a problem in our 10 years of visiting this great town. The kids would sometimes go out for ice cream on their own early evening, even when they were younger. Lots of families around, in the plaza, etc. My only safety precaution is that I prefer to walk on the roads in the evening as opposed to the beach, as the beach can be very dark. People should use the same common sense precautions they would at home, and they will be fine.

6. Re: First time trip to Sayulita curious about safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:21