We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

Hey there.

I've been here two days now and both nights after surfing have had really bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I've been careful about food and have not had any salads or fruits.

I'm pretty sure it's the water. :-(. I've been surfing mainly on the west side of the beach (on the left as you look out to sea) should I try elsewhere? I know there is another group the right (east) of the group of rocks.

Anyone have any tips?

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

It is most likely not the water in the ocean, but something you ate. Traveling and being away from home usually give even the strongest stomachs a challenge. Even something as simple as using different oils for cooking or larger quantities of oil can cause upset, it is not only different bacteria or bugs that cause upset. Add to that new spices, different stomaches take longer to adjust to the local fare. As you don't drink the ocean water in any quantity, that is most likely not a cause of the upset. Remember that food issues can take up to several days after you eat to show up.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

My tummy gets that way too, although, touch wood, I've been fine in Mexico. We went to Costa Rico a few years ago & I was sick for 3 wks after we got home. Had all kinds of tests but the Dr. never found out what it was. Then a couple years later we went to Cuba & I had the trots by the end of the week! I sure wish I knew what it is that makes me feel that way so I could stay away from it! I've been taking Dukoral, which my Dr. suggested. I haven't had any problems the past 2 yrs. we've been to PV (&area). We'll be in Sayulita in 18 days!!!

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

Well, when walking around Sayulita you come across many little creeks, besides the river, which eventually empty on the beach. If you saw those creeks up hill in the neighbourhoods and what is in them you would not be surprised that you have a tummy ache after swimming in the water. We smelled raw sewage while passing one of these creeks and followed it to the beach where it was a little river. People, tourists, were letting their little toddlers play in the water. It was unbelievable. I do question the water quality.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

All communities that have rivers that empty into the ocean have issues with the look of the water from time to time. The water was tested numerous times after the big flood in 2010 to check water quality, and was found safe.There is a brand new sewage treatment plant in town that was not there years ago. Much of the town sewage that was collected in septic tanks has slowly been changed over to a modern sewage treatment system. It is not perfect, but it is getting better year by year.

We surf, swim, and enjoy the water every time we visit Sayulita. As someone that has spent month and months in Sayulita over the past 10 years, I have never been sick from swimming... quite frankly the notion to me seems ridiculous. It is a mighty big ocean out there, and the town is home to 2500 residents plus visitors. The ocean is a system that cleanses itself to some extent. Cities of millions that empty sewage into the ocean sometimes have issues with water quality. Sayulita isn't that large, and so far, it doesn't have this problem. But it is easy to speculate about it without facts or evidence, its what keeps forums like this busy...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

We came back after a wonderful Sayulita holiday on March 2. By March 5, my husband was extremely ill. He has been ill now for a full 7 days in bed and we have taken him to the ER twice for fluids and meds. Dire head ache, body ache, uncontrollable fever up to 104.5, the poops, and one episode of vomiting. We ate at the same restaurants. We both got a few mosquito bites. I'm completely fine as are our traveling companions. He surfed daily. The docs think it's possibly ecoli or an unspecified virus. Anyway, not to be discouraging, but this is the worst post travel illness I've ever seen.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
654 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

Except for the vomiting, it sounds to me like dengue fever. I had it a couple of years ago and the body aches and headaches were the worst imaginable thing I'd ever gone through. Still, your husband should be checked for e coli, just in case.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

I’m sorry to hear of your husband’s illness but I assure you it is not from the water. Our water quality here in Riviera Nayarit, and Sayulita in particular, is taken very seriously, our desirability as a beach destination depends upon it. The water is tested regularly by Semarnat, our Secretary of Environmental and Natural Resources, and the results are a source of pride for us. For the months of December, January and February it has measured <1 ppm enterococo per liter of water. Up to 100 ppm is acceptable. As you know, there are literally hundreds of people enjoying the beach everyday and this last weekend Sayulita hosted the Punta Sayulita Surf Classic, a stand-up and longboard competition with both national and international contestants. There were more than 100 surfers from Brazil, Mexico and the U.S (primarily from Hawaii and California) participating in this annual event. If the water quality was an issue then we would not see just the occasional otherwise healthy person, like your husband, affected. We would see large numbers of those more susceptible to disease such as the young, elderly, and health impaired severely affected. “Toes in the Sand” brought up a very good point regarding Dengue, it’s not something we normally see during the “dry” months such as March but it’s worth mentioning to your husband's doctor so you can be made aware of potential problems to watch for in the event he actually has it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful information.

9. Re: Wicked bad stomach problems after surfing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:31
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita
Recent Conversations