We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

Which Sayulita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bandon
Level Contributor
48 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

Hello,

Four or us will be staying in Sayulita for the first time later this month. We are trying to decide if we should rent a car or take the bus. We are all very fit and adventurous 50 year young women. I have already heard that it could cost up to $50 a day with insurance to rent a car. How much would the bus cost and how much longer would it take to get there?

How about taking day trips from Sayulita once we get there....what are some recommendations? Would love to explore the area around Sayulita and see what is "around the next bend."

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

Renting a car can be cost effective if you plan exploring our area in depth, it will also give you the freedom to come and go as you please rather than relying on bus schedules. This is still a fairly rural area though so you should be comfortable with driving on our less than stellar roads. On the other hand, you can get most everywhere by bus also, they're extremely economical but it's just not as convenient and takes a bit longer. From the airport to Sayulita the bus fare is just 25 pesos per person and the trip will take an extra 15-30 minutes depending on stops coming north.

A few daytrip suggestions:

1. Spend an afternoon in San Pancho, have lunch on the beach, it's not a great swimming beach so it's usually pretty quiet, take some cards drink some beer and relax. There's a few shops to check out while you're there as well.

2. On Thursday morning you must go to the market in La Penita, it only happens on Thursday's though so you'll have to plan your week accordingly. La Penita is 45 minutes north of here.

3. Go over to Punta de Mita for lunch, walk to the south end of the beach road where you'll find the cooperativo, ask Rudy if the whales are still around and if so you can go whale-watching and/or snorkeling out at Las Marietas.

Just a few ideas to get you started, have fun :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

I would not plan on renting a car, but if you need one there is a car rental in town. Most everything you will want to do or need is in Sayulita,

If you are staying a while and you want to take a day trip to San Pancho or Lo De Marcos just hire a taxi, it will be much cheaper, probably around 10 bucks to S. Pancho. If you want to go in to P. Vallarta you can take the bus, then take taxi's around town.

Have fun!

http://www.sayulitascene.com

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

For other travelers reading this post, if you will be visiting at a busy time of year then it might be helpful to know that our experience has taught us that the rental agencies in Sayulita have very little inventory and charge much more, sometimes double, what their Vallarta main office charges. The agents have openly admitted that if you want a lower rate you have to pick it up in Vallarta. I would like to always support local business but sometimes it just doesn't make sense and of course the point of TripAdvisor is to help the traveler not ourselves.

Bandon
Level Contributor
48 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

Thank you to the last two posters for your feedback. It seems like a toss up for me about the car thing...it is nice to have the freedom to come and go when you want and explore around the next bend, but it is sounding more and more like just kicking back in Sayulita might be a pretty good thing to do. If we do rent from a local rental company for a day, does anyone have any suggestions which place might be better to rent from and what is available right there in Sayulita?

Also what about the various boat/snorkle trips that are available there...any feedback? Sounds like Sayulita Saling Excursions has the best reviews here. Any others also that are good and not too much of a "party boat?"

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

Because you're coming in late March I wouldn't count on the local agencies having anything available at the last minute. It might work because you only want something for a day so it's possible that they could squeeze you in between existing reservations but I would check in with them early and often.

If you don't want a party boat I would avoid those that offer an "open bar". For just 1500 pesos you can get your own private boat w/captain (holds up to 8) over at the cooperativo in Punta de Mita.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
252 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

I would check out Jose Ramos for transport to & from the airport. BIG Chevy Suburban to haul all four of you in. Beer and water included, $130 round trip. VERY dependable guys.

I think its called Tours de Bahia de Banderas.

7. Re: Car or Bus for trip to Sayulita? Recommended Day Trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:18