We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or not?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Rent a car or not?

We will be in Sayulita in a week and have been debating on a car rental. I know it is not necessary for Sayulita itself but not sure about day trips.

We are arriving in the evening with luggage so we are planning on ordering transport from the airport if we don't rent a car (budget around 140/150 US for the round trip).

It looks like a week's rental will run us about $250 or $300 US so we are just not sure if it is worth the cost difference.

I have no issues driving in Mexico it is just the convenience and if there may be some great beaches/day trips to go on. We are only staying 1 week.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car or not?

Once you add your airport ground transfer to incidental taxi fares throughout your stay plus the related tips you're close enough to the rental cost, in my opinion, to make renting worthwhile. The added advantage of having the freedom to explore and come and go as you please will more than make up for the small, if any, added expense. Having said that, if you'll be here during the week of Easter then that could throw a wrench into my advice. Assuming you're staying in a relatively quiet location, you may not want to venture far because of the crowds and difficulty finding parking.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car or not?

Yea, that's kind of what I am leaning towards. Just concerned about extra hidden costs with the car rental as well. Although I think I factored in the mandatory insurance. We are going to be there form April 21 to 28th and are staying in the North part of town.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car or not?

It depends on how many day trips you want to take. Sayulita itself is small and you don't need a car, and taxi's are affordable. I think it's about $80 pesos to San Pancho (the next town 15 minutes away). Consider how many similar day trips it would take to add up to the car rental cost.

Maybe you will go to the La Peñita market, maybe one day of hiking. Also you can rent a car for a single day right in Sayulita from National car rental, not sure how much probably around $50 usd.

Have a fun trip!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car or not?

Why bother with a car.If you are 1 week then relax and enjoy.If you want to do a day trip then there is some form of transportation going everywhere most of the time.As a previous poster said the taxis can be reasonable just make sure of the price before you get into the cab.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car or not?

There are so many great side trips to make on a normal basis but given your dates of stay I think you'll opt to stick close, so much so in fact that I generally stock up in advance so I don't have to go anywhere. All of the beach towns are going to be very busy.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car or not?

I read somewhere that the going rate for taxi's from in front of the airport is about $800 pesos, is this true? Seems high.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car or not?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think we are going to skip the car this trip, get the transport from the airport so that we can stop in at the grocery store and stock up! I am sure we can fill our week very easily with walkable beaches :) Excited!

In regards to that taxi rate, I haven't done that much research on it but private transport from the airport seems to be around $120-150 round trip with a stop at the grocery store so that sounds about right? But maybe someone who has been before can confirm.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
611 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car or not?

If you use Jose Ramos, aka Tours Bahia de Sayulita, it will cost $130US round-trip and you can stop at Mega (or any other grocery store) on your way in from the airport. You will have to pay the full amount when you're dropped at your rental accommodation. Get a receipt and don't forget to tip the driver.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car or not?

Skipping the rental is a good idea. Parking can be difficult to find and you dint really need a car in town. My suggestion would be plan a day or two that you want to go outside of town and rent a car for those days.

There are two rental car agencies in Sayulita, we have used both and found National to be much more reliable and have better service.

Enjoy your stay!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car or not?

I've heard good things about Jose Ramos.

Also if you want to pay a bit less for taxi just walk across the pedestrian bridge and it's about $30 less than in front of airport. So about $50. You don't get the market stop though. That being said, markets in Sayulita have pretty much everything you would need for a week. I like Alas Blancas because they have some organic and specialty items.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 20:03