We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

Which Sayulita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

Hi There -

I am looking for recommendations on our Spring 2015 honeymoon to Sayulita. Our ideal vacation would be probably two days at the beach and wandering about town; a day deep sea fishing; horseback riding; zip lining; snorkeling; a sunset cruise; atv-ing; etc. From the sounds of it, Sayulita affords all of these activities in a quaint little laid-back town, which sounds utterly perfect. But I'm wondering, my fiancé has never seen the ocean and although I know it's not the Caribbean, does the Pacific provide beautiful blue views? Based on what we're looking to do on our trip, is 6 nights too long in the little village of Sayulita? We are certainly looking to relax and unwind after the wedding, but also don't want to get bored by day 4 either.

What are the options for transportation in Sayulita? Are there any shops that rent out mopeds/scooters or something along those lines, for getting around town?

My next question relates to accommodations. I am torn between the beautiful beachside views of Playa Escondida and the value/hospitality of Hacienda de la Costa. There are a lot of fantastic reviews of PE but also a lot of unfavorable reviews - the biggest for me being the over-priced food, given that nothing is included in the higher cost of the rooms. Whereas every single review of HDLC is excellent, breakfast is included, the rooms are a great price, and the hosts are incredibly helpful when it comes to planning activities. Clearly, it would seem HDLC is more favorable in my book but I'm struggling with the give and take of beachside views of PE. Do you think it'd be worth splitting our time at these two resorts? Maybe the first two nights at PE and the rest of our stay at HDLC?

We would greatly appreciate your input/suggestions! Thanks much.

Rachael

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,471 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

I have only been to Sayulita for one vacation - loved it there and while we were there for only 6 days, I felt we could have easily stayed 2 weeks. One of the things I really enjoyed about Sayulita was that we could walk to so much - restaurants, shops, beach but looking at your lodgings - both are pretty far out of town - 1 - 2 miles. Seems like that would be a bit isolating, though perhaps you are looking for that for your honeymoon?? You might consider that. Do check out this site as it is very helpful for everything about Sayulita - renting scooters, etc.: http://www.sayulitalife.com/

Good luck! :)

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

6 nights is definitely not too long. Both of your accommodation choices are wonderful, I don't think you can go wrong with either. For what you would spend on renting a golf car or scooter you might want to consider renting a car, it would give you the ability to make day trips to other villages to the north which you wouldn't be able to do on a scooter or golf cart. Renting a car would also save you the airport ground transfer fees as well if you planned to use either a taxi or one of the transportation companies. If you would rather not rent a vehicle then there's always taxis for your occasional needs, they're very affordable. The contact personnel at your accommodation will probably have some good advice for you.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

Thank you both!

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
251 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

I think you should stay closer to town, since it is your first trip to Sayulita. Too many awesome restaurants and fun places to hang out at in town, including Sayulita beach in town. If you stay in town, no transportation is necessary, you can walk everywhere, but people rent golf carts to get around for fun or for not climbing hills on foot!

Although, both Escondida and Hacienda de la Costa look very, very nice, I have not tried staying at either place yet myself. Nothing against those places, but they are somewhat remote.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

For many there´s a lot of appeal to staying outside of the town center, especially if you´re into nature, peace and quiet and secluded beaches. Town is still just a 10 minute drive away so it´s not like you can´t go into town every day if you want to. If you+re into the late night bar scene or have small children then I can understand that it wouldn´t be the most convenient but for a honeymoon it seems ideal to me.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

Just a heads up - should you choose to rent a car, specifically from the PV airport, please keep in mind that unless you provide a written (not necessarily signed) declaration of insurance coverage from your credit card company, you will be forced to take car insurance.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

There are so many good restaurants in Sayulita, and being near town can be a lot of fun. Have you looked at Villa Amor?

8. Re: First Time Travelers to Sayulita for Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:17