We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

It pains me to write this post, because we found Sayulita to be a LOVELY town in many ways... but we'd read some of the earlier posts about illness with concern and we've just returned from a wedding where an astounding amount of people got sick. I believe there were close to 60 people in this particular group and it seems as though at least three quarters (if not more) fell ill with violent stomach issues. It seemed to hit most people within 2-3 days after their arrival and last for a good 24hours. Everyone arrived on different days, stayed in different locations, ate at different places... the only thing we all had in common was being in Sayulita! I don't know what is happening - if it is indeed infrastructure issues or wastewater treatment issues or what, but we certainly won't come back until things get better.

Which is sad, because the town was fun and the people were helpful and fantastic, food was terrific - we loved it! But we started calling it the Walking Dead vacation because our friends were dropping like flies and we spent our whole trip waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and come down with violent illness! We didn't get as ill as the others, and I have no idea why we were spared - probiotics may have helped. At any rate, I'm a longtime forum member and have traveled to lots of places in the world, but have never seen or heard of something as crazy as this. I really do hope this lovely town is able to figure out their issues.

428 replies to this topic
Sayulita
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

You did have one more thing in common,.. you all attended the same wedding.

Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

The wedding was at the end of most everyone's trip. Most people were sick before the wedding, and a few were able to make it only to the ceremony before leaving early. A few more folks got sick after, but most got hit within 2-3 days of arriving in Sayulita, before the main event.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Thanks for clarifying. The point I was so clumsily trying to make is that the Noro virus is very contagious, and an infected person is still contagious for two days after feeling better, so because you're all socializing together it's not surprising that the virus will make it's way through a group once the first member of the group is infected.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

my son became violently ill after surfing at Sayulita today, the local,dr. Said he had treated 30 people this week and that it was due to the polluted water being dumped into the ocean. How is this not being posted somewhere on the beach? What about all the babies being exposed at the beach? It would kill a baby to go through what he has experienced today. We ended up at the hospital at San poncho for fluids since he couldn't keep anything down. Swimmers beware!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Sayulita Pita this ha been going on for AT LEAST 3 years now. Happened when I was there in 2014 & 2015 to photograph weddings, I was the one of the few people both times that did not go swimming and did not get sick. People who went to the local Dr were also told it was indeed the water. Norovirus does not last 3 years & if it did that too would be a really big problem. I LOVE Sayulita just as much as you do & have friends who own property there, but pretending a problem does not exist does not fix it. Whatever the problem, there IS a problem!

Sayulita
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

People are less inclined to scrutinize statements that align with their own beliefs. I'm surprised that you're willing to accept as fact the statement "the local,dr. Said he had treated 30 people this week and that it was due to the polluted water being dumped into the ocean" but not willing to accept the actual water quality test results, both by the government and a local citizens action group that commissioned their own independent testing, nor are you willing to consider the many accounts of tourists, some of whom are also healthcare professionals that have said that it was indeed a Noro or Noro-type virus. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g445056-i9130-k819…

Propogating the belief that it's caused by the ocean water is a disservice to all that take it as fact because they will think that all they have to do to prevent getting ill is to avoid swimming in the ocean. People that do not swim in the ocean also catch the bug.

You are correct that the outbreak first started in late 2014, this is the second tourist season that the virus has been present, it disappeared at the end (around May 2015) of the 2014-2015 season and reappeared at the end of 2015. I'm certainly not pretending that there isn't a problem, a Noro virus IS a problem for those that pick it up.

Sayulita
Level Contributor
607 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

This was just posted on Facebook by our much-loved regional healthcare coordinator in Puerto Vallarta,

"Wash your hands" is NOT just for kids! With all of the germs/pathogens/microbes running rampant around here causing all of this "creepin' crud" - it could most likely be significantly reduced with really good handwashing! What's often blamed on "bad food at a restaurant" isn't always necessarily the case. It can come from anything/anywhere a person touches. So, wash, wash and wash again!

Santa Maria...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

Sweetinclination, I think we might have been there for the same wedding, My sister Ana's? Anyways, I came back on here to do a little more research as I loved the town but knew there's been something going on for a little while now. As I do believe the water can make you sick, I don't believe that is the case at large. Side Note, my father spoke with one of the locals there and was told that they have a system in place that treats the water that enters the ocean through the river but it has been down for some time. They think it will back up soon. I know that myself and a few other guests that attended the wedding never entered the ocean and still got sick. What we experienced was most definitely the Norovirus... It is extremely contagious, only takes a few particles to transmit and is partially airborne. Sayulita is a SMALL town with a lot of close quarter contact. Especially a group of 60 celebrating a wedding for a week. Every time new guest arrive in town they just keep the little bugs going. It most likely won't end until the end of the season when there are less tourists and the bug can die out.

P.S. Sorry for the run-on sentences

9. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 March 2016, 14:36

Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita

This virus has been going on since at least 2012, that's how far back I have seen postings regarding the "virus". There was an article that came out In 2013 highlighting the pollution of the ocean with raw sewage being dumped in the river.

Sayulitapita, you saw the article and debunked it so why are you claiming this virus started in 2014. If someone took the time to investigate and write an article in 2013, it leads be to believe this virus was an issue before then.

If Sayulitapita sees all Sayulita tourists sick with this virus and he would still say its the Norovirus...so no point arguing this point with him. He actively and regularly dismisses claims of this virus being anything other than Norovirus.

Reply to: Sickness (Still!) in Sayulita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita