We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

We are planning a March Break trip with 4 families with teenagers. Would it be better for the teens to be at an all inclusive in PV or rent a villa in Sayulita? I haven't noticed any all inclusive in Sayulita. Also, I heard the surfing is better in Sayulita than in PV. The kids would like to surf.

Sayulita Kayak & Surf Fishing
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Fishing Sayulita
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Surf It Out
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
9 replies to this topic
Mexicali, Mexico
Level Contributor
415 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

Yes, the surfing will be better in Sayulita or Punta de Mita than in Pto Vallarta but unless they want to surf every day there will be more activities available in PVR. We had stayed with our teens at an all-inclusive in PVR in 2012 and 2014 but decided to try Punta de Mita for this past New Year. The kids had a good time at the all-inclusive there but by the end of the week they were begging to go into PVR to go to a movie, hang out at the mall, etc. This is not to mention the water parks, zip lines, boat trips available in PVR,

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

You know what I think I would do? Not sure how many days you have - a week perhaps? I would do a split - go hang in Puerto Vallarta for 3-4 days - take in the city, eat at all the good restaurants, etc., and then go to Sayulita for the rest of your trip for surfing. That would be a fun spring break! :)

minneapolis
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

In my opinion I would pick one or the other. If you love all-inclusives you could do that and add on a day surf trip to Sayulita or Punta Mita. We travelled with 3 young teenagers last spring break to Sayulita, and we are going back this year (per their request)! They loved the freedom of the small town in Sayulita, walking to town by themselves for breakfast, shopping, etc. We all loved the variety of restaurants..great food! Also loved the surfing, the beach in general and when we wanted activities we just walked into town and set them up, (horseback riding, ziplining, Ally Cat catamaran, etc). However, my kids would never want to go to a movie, the mall, etc when on vacation in Mexico, so I think it depends on the desires/expectations of the people you are traveling with. If you want a resort atmosphere with huge pools, etc you will not find that in Sayulita.

4. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2018, 03:02

Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

Thank you for your helpful comments! Planning a trip for our family of four, march 2018, about 10 days. kids would love to surf and swim, none of us are big on malls! Some easy good food would be great. Trying to decide between punta mita and sayurita. Input will be much appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

Kind of depends on what kind of kids they are....maybe have them look at Sayulita pictures and activities available and then look at some A.I.'s in Puerto Vallarta. Involve them in the decision.

Just a thought.

Edited: 10 October 2017, 20:59
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

Very good all inclusive close to Sayulita is the Palladium ,built on cliff,on point,so surfers go there. Nice family resort, very good food,entertainment,staff , free boards.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

Sayulita is a charming and safe town. I would rent a house and you can buy fresh fruit/bread for breakfast and eat out when you want. The restaurants there are excellent and reasonably priced. The challenge with All inclusive is that the food ends up tasting the same after day 3. Sayulita has fishing/snorkeling charters you can take, safe, sandy beginner surfing beach and the teenagers can roam around town and be safe.

If you want to go to PVR, do a 1 day trip there. Its super touristy.

Edited: 22 October 2017, 07:25
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
75 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers

If the decision is now between Punta Mita and Sayulita, the answer for me is obvious. SAYULITA. There is no going wrong spending time in sayulita. There is plenty to do for a relaxing week and a half. And when compared to Punta de Mita, unless you are staying at the 4 seasons, Sayulita is much more fun, and family friendly.

Another note, there are buses headed to Puerto Vallarta (and returning) all day in Sayulita. They take around an hour and cost a couple dollars. This is a great way to visit the Malecon, and Old Town, eat dinner at a beautiful restaurant on the beach, or even sign up for an adventure.

Last thing to mention: March can be pretty hectic in the area, as it is really the last weeks of high season, coupled with America's spring break vacation, coupled with Mexico's "holy week" vacation. So just be aware of the possibility of lots of people everywhere you go.

Reply to: Sayurita or Puerto Vallarta with teenagers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita