We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Tranquila and theft in Troncones

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Tranquila and theft in Troncones

I stayed at Casa Tranquila with my boyfriend and another couple for a few nights. The casa has a downstairs with a kitchen, living area, bedroom and bathroom. The downstairs bedroom has airconditioning. Upstairs has a seperate enterance. There is a bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The rooms were clean, but the house felt like it wasn't taken care of so overall it didn't feel that nice to us. There were lots of tiny ants in the upstairs bathroom. The outdoor deck furniture needs to be replaced. The showers in both bathrooms only produce cold water. For the price we paid, I guess this was expected. It was only $150 per night.

While we were there, the place got broken into. We only lost some American money but it was a frightening experience. We were at the Burro Burracho when it happened. We heard from several locals that there is theft spree currently taking place. The town is pointing their fingers at an American expatriate who is about 18 years old. He has been spotted at the Burro Burrocho each night someone's vacation rental gets broken into. The town of Troncones is small enough so this guy can figure out who is staying where and when he sees them at the burro burracho, he heads back to there place and takes cash - only cash. He didn't take our passports or camera. We were staying upstairs and didn't have a key to the downstairs so we didn't use the safety lock box. We told the manager that we found it annoying that the upstairs doesn't have a key to the downstairs since we didn't spend every second with our friends and she wasn't open to the idea of providing multiple keys.

We did get the experience of filing a police report in Mexico. It took 3 hours and we had to have an interpreter drive us to the town of La Union which was 40 minutes away. It was a painfully slow process and most of it was spent watching a woman type. The questions they asked were interesting. They seemed more concerned with our religion and if we lived together than solving the crime.

The locals in Troncones said that this has to come to a stop and they are fed up by the recent break-ins. Hopefully, they will catch the bandit sooner than later but be warned not to keep any cash in your vacation rentals.

Troncones, Gro
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Tranquila and theft in Troncones

From the manager of Casa Tranquila.

I´m so sorry that you had this experience and am happy to let you know that a stop has been put to this type of break-in. With regard to your other complaints about the house, the furniture has been replaced and hot water has always been available. Unfortunately, some of our guests seem to think we will automatically know if they are not getting hot water. However, since the maid doesn't take a shower while doing the cleaning, we do NOT know these things unless the guests tell us. As you may have heard at the time, Casa Tranquila was not the only house affected by the small "crime wave" and we are all extremely happy that it is behind us.

I do hope you won't let this experience prevent you from returning to Troncones (perhaps not to Tranquila, I understand) as it is really a great place to spend time.

Anita Lapointe

2. Re: Casa Tranquila and theft in Troncones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 06:26
Get answers to your questions about Troncones