We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes in Troncones?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes in Troncones?

Hi,

I'm traveling to Troncones the first week in May....

I see from the weather averages it's likely to be warm (mid-80's) what about mosquitoes? I'm the one they find if there are any....

should I bring bug spray? mosquito net for sleeping? anti-itch cream and/or benadryl?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
68 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes in Troncones?

I would not think they would be too bad and might not even be around. I always do spray a bit of bug spray on (I really like the stuff you get from www.buggspray.com - one of them smells like vanilla). I always have some anti-itch stuff. Better to be prepared than not. I'll be there in the latter half of May. Can't wait. Have a great time!

Troncones, Sinaloa...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes in Troncones?

The amount of Mosquitos in Troncones depends greatly on your specific location. There are two small river/estuaries, one in North Troncones and one in South Troncones. If you are very near to one of them there might be some mosquitoes, otherwise there are almost none in May, especially if you are on the beach. There are more mosquitoes in the summer, but far from a nuisance.

The two most important precautions are bug spray and mosquito nets. Spray your ankles around sunset. Check out Skindeep (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/) to find a brand that is nontoxic and biodegradable. And if you´re in an open air room, always sleep under a mosquito net (mosquitero), most hotels provide them.

I live in Present Moment Retreat (http://www.presentmomentretreata.com/), which has open-air bungalows. There are mosquito nets in every room. Nobody ever complains about the mosquitoes.

Oak Glen, California
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes in Troncones?

Since you live at this retreat maybe you could clarify the recent reports in the local newspaper about the dumping of raw sewage in the ocean for the last five years.

The Union, Gro., (April 22, 2012). - Members of two organizations ecoguardias community of Troncones, held a protest with banners outside the hotel Present Moment, to report to authorities Profepa and SEMARNAT, the prestigious five-star inn, sewage pours into the sea where it damages the flora and fauna for the past five years, which contrasts with the ecotourism environment that promotes the Internet as a center of spiritual life.

The municipal commissioner, Ausencio Solis Hernandez explained that the problem is presented for five years, "we have to talk to the owner and always tells us that it will solve the problem but does nothing, we are tired of asking that their sewage spill into the sea but still, we have complaints from the neighbors who live around this hotel, which has world's fourth of its kind. "

The neighbor Dewey McMillin said the hotel staff crude spilled into the sea waters between four and six in the morning, the smell is horrible in the mornings throughout the coastline of this seaside resort, which they too are part; it contrasts on the one hand because they are eco-tourism and otherwise spill their waste into the sea.

The Maximilian ecoguardia Mendoza Solis, representing the Environmental Protection Society of Troncones, said this situation was already out of control, because the sewage spill into the sea directly damages the arrival of sea turtles, oysters and lobsters banks, we want stop polluting and we back our beach clean.

Note that this means he tried to interview representatives of that place, however due to protests by young people with banners last Friday afternoon, in charge of the inn were closed to prevent the entry of reporters who came to cover the complaint of ecologists.

Troncones, Sinaloa...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes in Troncones?

I don't feel I can talk on behalf of Present Moment, but here is a letter that CJ Page, one of the owners, just sent to the community, I hope it helps...

Dear Troncones Community,

As many of you know there was recently a protest on the beach in front of Present Moment’s property claiming that the hotel’s sewage was contaminating the ocean. I would like to take this opportunity to respond on behalf of Present Moment as I believe that an open dialogue and transparency is the best way to create and sustain a healthy community. The organizers of the protest brought along the media, and as a result an article was recently published on the subject. Contrary to the article, Present Moment was never contacted by the media, our neighbors, or the protest organizers to learn the facts about this issue. I live on site at Present Moment and am available to speak with anybody about any topic whatsoever. In addition, our General Manager, Jessica works six days a week and is always available for comment, yet neither of us was approached to discuss the subject. There was clearly a breakdown of communication on this topic, perhaps starting with Present Moment’s lack of proactive communication and followed up with assumptions made by individuals of the local community. The aggressive measures which were taken instead of directly addressing the issue should not be tolerated by our beach community because this approach affects all of Troncones, not just Present Moment, as a touristic destination.

The facts are as follows:

• Present Moment is a “conscious living retreat”. The health and beauty of the ocean, especially in Troncones is very important to us…we recognize that this is a town based on tourism and we must do all that we can to preserve our economy as well as our ecology.

• Three years ago we began to outgrow our original septic system that had been installed during construction. We were experiencing leaks and overflows which caused a powerful odor. After months of paying to have the sewage professionally removed on a weekly or bi-monthly basis, we opted to eliminate the original septic system, and install Rotoplas Biodigesters that guarantee their product and are certified to not contaminate ground water or any surrounding body of water. **Details of the Biodigesters that we use available here**

• Our current waste management system treats the solid waste using live bacteria (no chemicals).

• We use non-toxic, biodegradable soaps and detergents as they are safer for the environment and do not harm the live bacteria being used to treat the waste.

• Currently, Present Moment has one of the most advanced waste management systems in the Troncones area.

Over the past seven years, Present Moment has flourished in beautiful ways and has also made some mistakes along the way. Businesses, like individuals, evolve over time to become more aligned with their vision, goals and beliefs. We too, strive for ways to progress and grow in that very way. My hope is that we will all recognize the benefit of open communication to resolve conflicts, thereby creating a healthy and supportive community that results in increased tourism and prosperity for us all.

In Sincerity,

CJ Page

Co-Founder, Present Moment Retreat

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes in Troncones?

That 'open letter to the Troncones Community' is a great letter with lots of info on the PM processes but sounds like admission of guilt to me.

Admission of guilt with a caveat that it isn't as bad as everybody is saying and that they were attacked instead of approached for a solution (which sounds to be the case...I guess). But I did notice they did not once address the fact if they are or aren't actually dumping something...

So then, about the mosquitoes.... ;-)

6. Re: mosquitoes in Troncones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Troncones
Recent Conversations