We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troncones or Barra de Potosi?

Seattle, Washington
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Troncones or Barra de Potosi?

We are making our first trip to the Zihuatenajo area for 10days in March. (Have spent a few vacations in Sayulita, which was great, though we stayed on the N end of the beach). We like places that are a bit more quiet, tho comfortable, good food... laid back. LIke to walk, probably won't rent a car. We're considering Troncones / Manzanillo Bay and Barra de Potosi. Would love some compare / contrast thoughts, thank you! Also, thoughts abt Playa de Ropa... maybe we'll spend 3 nights there first...? THANKS

Seattle
Level Contributor
68 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Troncones or Barra de Potosi?

I prefer Troncones to Barra because there is more stuff there (restaurants and shops - though still much, much smaller than Sayulita) and more to do. If you are considering being out in Manzanillo Bay, there are nice places and you can watch the surfers. If you are closer to town, there are more restaurants. To walk from MB to town is about a 30 minute walk.....which you might enjoy. Barra still seems a bit desolate to me, though many LOVE it there. I have stayed only a couple of nights out there so am certainly not an expert (compared to months in Troncones). Zihua and La Ropa are great. I'll be at Tentaciones in Zihua next week and can't wait! Have a great trip. I think if you are in Troncones or Barra de Potosi, a car might be nice. In Troncones, we like to drive up to some other beaches and to Buena Vista for Thursday night pozole.

Malibu, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Troncones or Barra de Potosi?

I want to weigh in in favor of Barra de Potosi. This is a wonderful real beach experience where the waves are kind to swimmers and the people friendly. If you want night clubs or bars, then this is not the place for you, but if you want great sunsets, nice places to stay, great fresh fish, the best cleanest beach, an enormous lagoon to kayak and explore, a hike to a turtle nesting beach, an amazing wild life refuge, And calm nice people, then I suggest Barra de Potosi!

There are hotels with great value right on the beach, here are some ideas: higher end: Solectio, lower end: Casa de la Luna, off the Beach - Villa Don Manuel, in town - Villas Tuparaiso...

Edited: 20 November 2011, 17:11
Seattle, Washington
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Troncones or Barra de Potosi?

I really appreciate BOTH of these replies, thank you... gives us a feel for both places and they both sound wonderful... Honestly, how can we go wrong?

We've decided to split our trip into two 5-day segments, the first at La Ropa~ which may be a little too much for us, but i think we owe it to ourselves to get a feel for Zihuatanejo a bit. Will have a car and take day trips from there and Barra is certainly one of them. Looking forward to the peacefulness, the wildlife sanctuary and kayaking in the lagoon.

We've decided to stay up at Hacienda Eden at Manzanillo Bay for our last 5 days... a bungalow right on a quiet beach in our price range. Sounds like paradise ...

Many thanks for your input... still open to more if you're inspired :)

4. Re: Troncones or Barra de Potosi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2012, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Troncones
Recent Conversations