We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety fact or fiction?

Which Troncones hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety fact or fiction?

We have been going to Troncones every year for 8 or 9 years and consider it to be paradise. Headed there next month and can't wait. But I have heard a number of reports - unsubstantiated - of crime and/or gang violence and action there. Really? Things like a friend telling me that his friend's friend has a friend that said that "drug gangs' had 'taken over' 2 of the large beach houses"... or that people have been kidnapped..that sort of thing. I just can't find any actual documentation or direct proof about this stuff. We will continue to go, and we use common sense in regard to safety wherever we travel...but can anyone provide a realistic picture of the situation?

Seattle
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety fact or fiction?

Hola Cloudcutter, I'm here in Seattle as well but spent 3.5 weeks there in January and into February. We walked the beaches and roads at night. We slept with the doors open. There was an unoccupied house that was "occupied" for some time by unscrupulous people. I have not heard of any violence and/or kidnapping and I visit Troncones three or four times a year (I was there last May, August, November, and this trip). I feel very safe there and you should as well. By the way, there are some new restaurants to try. I would recommend giving Orbe's a try (the ceviche is great). Have a great time!

Troncones, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety fact or fiction?

I stay at Present Moment for a month or two every year (amazing!) and there have never been any problems or word of violence or crime. Not even a stolen purse. I believe most of the violence is on the US boarder. Also, stats I found on Wikipedia show Mexico to have one of the lowest crime rates in Latin America. My conclusion: over sensational media and a SAFE area to visit. Have a great time.

Edited: 09 May 2012, 15:20
3. Re: Safety fact or fiction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Troncones
Recent Conversations