We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Troncones Rip Tides

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Troncones Rip Tides

We are considering a trip to Troncones this spring with 4 adults and 4 kids. The kids are very into boogie boarding and swimming and have experience swimming in the ocean and are good swimmers, but not sure how they'd do if they were caught in a strong current. We're a bit concerned about the rip tides -- how severe are they? How vigilant does one need to be?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Troncones Rip Tides

Very Severe. I would not let a child of mine swim there nor would I swim there.

You might consider Barra de Potosi also a small beach town near Zihua but far more swimable.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Troncones Rip Tides

Not exactly true on being very severe. It can be, and at other times it is not. Directly relevant to the current waves. Spring is often overall calmer then summer for example. Also it depends on what part of Troncones. Manzanillo Bay is a more protected area with less rip tide and it is very common to see families and kids in the water around the bay.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Troncones Rip Tides

Great to hear about Manzanillo Bay for swimming from you Wil (as I have heard it is good in the Bay there, but hearing it from you assures me) - will have to test out the info this December while at the Inn!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Troncones Rip Tides

Wil you are one of my favorite Troncones residents but I must add that few causal (such as the OP) visitors can recognize "severe rips'.

As an experience scuba diver I believe I can recognize such better than most.

Once caught most visitors would have no idea what to do.

Better safe than sorry IMO.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Troncones Rip Tides

Just an update on this older thread from being in Manzanillo Bay last week (i.e. if you are staying at The Inn at Manzanillo or Hacienda Eden, etc) - the swimming in this specific bay is no problem, lots of folks swimming everyday - children and parents. Yes there are waves (but not consistently big surfing waves or anything) but manageable. Riptides, didn't notice anything at all but the access to open ocean changes quite a bit from North to South in the Troncones area from what I saw, so depends on if you are staying in Troncones proper or possibly further north at some of the Manzanillo properties.

6. Re: Troncones Rip Tides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2016, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Troncones