We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

Which Paracas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

I reserved a tour with Huacachina.com company for Ballesta Islas and Nazca lines overflight for this May. They were supposed to pick us up in Paracas bus stations and do the Ballesta Islas tour and then deliver us back to the bus station, meet us in Nazca and provide overflight of Nazca lines.

I had emailed them extensively, even paid a deposit. Reconfirmed everything a week before we left on our trip.

In communication everything seemed great, they answered all the questions..... however when we arrived in paracas.... nobody showed up to pick us up. and we were on a very tight schedule, as not to miss the bus to Nazca the same day.

It turns out, Huacahina.com Tours doesnt have any office in paracas, they have no phone number on their website to call in a case of an emergency, nobody really knows who they are.

There is another company in Paracas, called Huacachina Tours (huacachinatours.com) , they said this is not the first time the other company´s clients are left in paracas, without being picked up. and everybody blames this local company, but they are not related to this internet company. Just the names are similar.

eventually we did get on Ballesta tour by another company. Of course nobody showed up in Nazca to take us for a flight neither.... we were unable to arrange it ourselves that day (we arrived after 2 pm in Nazca). Totally bad experience!!!

I emailed Huacachina.com people, how upset I am and how they had ruined our trip to Paracas and Nazca. In response, they blamed some other company with whom they work in paracas, but did not name the company when I specifically asked. At least they did return the deposit. Of course, the return of the money doesnt constitute never seeing Nazca lines and all the anxiety and desperation while waiting in Paracas...

Beware, dont book any tours with this company : Huacahina.com!!!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

Always best to pay with credit card and go with a quality provider like

www.mysteryperu.com

or

stay in a top flite hotel like

Doubletree Paracas or Las Dunas or www.casa-andina.com Nasca

set up quality tours through them...

All over Peru beware of fly by nite operators that do no take credit cards

NEVER wire money to them or risk losing it....

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

My name is Jonathan Green. As the owner and manager of Huacachina.com Tours, I would like to comment on dipaCT's post. Even though her post is critical of our company, I want to thank her for taking the time to make her comments. Some of what she says is correct, and some of it is misinformed, so I feel the need to clarify her comments.

A few weeks ago she reserved a tour for the Ballestas Islands boat tour, and a flight over the Nazca Lines. Our office is located in Huacachina, and we work with this the owners of the boats in Paracas to provide the Ballestas Islands tour. One of the challenges of working in tourism in Peru is sometimes the work ethic amongst the tour companies is less dedicated and responsible than their counterparts in the US.

Our provider of boat tours simply forgot to pick her up, even though we had reminded them several times about the pickup. This was entirely unacceptable, and we are no longer working this company. We have switched to a different provider for this tour whom we hope will be more conscientious and responsible with their attitude towards our clients. DipaCT says that we failed to pick her up in Nazca, but this is inaccurate. After our affiliate in Paracas failed to pick her up, she wrote to us demanding that we return her money to her for the tours - therefore we assumed she no longer wanted to proceed with the Nazca Lines flight. Had we thought she still wanted the tour, we of course would have picked her up on time and transported her to the Nazca airport. She would have flown over the lines with one of the best airlines in Nazca.

Every month, we have a large number of of clients who request a wide range of tours along the southern-pacific coast of Peru. I would say that 95-98% of our clients are very satisfied with the quality of the service we provide, and equally happy with our tours. Our clients appreciate the chance to communicate with someone who speaks fluent english, and is able to provide honest information and detailed itinerary planning, at a reasonable price.

We are certainly no fly-by-night tour operator. In fact, our website located at www.Huacachina.com is currently the most popular source and complete source of information about Peru's desert oasis on the internet, and in the future we will be adding detailed info about Nazca and the archaeological sites there, as well as more in-depth information about Paracas. We provide a range of tours that is more complete than almost any other company on the coast.

When we make mistakes, as we did in this case by trusting a company that turned out to be irresponsible, we seek to correct those mistakes in order to provide the highest quality of service possible. In this case, we offer our sincerest apologies to DipaCT, but we feel that her warning that everyone should "avoid us" is unfair and excessive.

CT
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

if there was really somebody from your company available to provide us Nazca tour, wouldnt you think that your apology would have been much better in person than just emails? I would have seen it as a great move from your company, if a person would have met us in Nazca and attempted to set things right and talked to us.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
542 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

Yeah you're totally right.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

omg that is pretty scary as I was thinking to go with them...

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

Even though the touts on here are always pushing it, very few activities in Peru need prebooking. All you did is pay a commission to someone to either make a call or send an email. Lots of folks making a living off the lazy or scared. I've been out to the islands several times. I arrive in town, tell my hotel that I want to go the next morning and they call someone to pick us up. The pick up is there because they know all I have to do is walk over to the front desk and they will handle it. Nazca flights. You are going to arrive the day before unless on a night bus. Same thing ... tell your hotel or even show up very early at the airport. If you want to hike the Inca Trail or go to Manu you must book in advance via an agency. Most other things take minimal pre booking. The closer to the action you book, the more control you have. As you found out, lots of other agencies that will take care of you at a moments notice.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

"omg that is pretty scary as I was thinking to go with them..."

omg J030 thats totally terrifying that about four months ago there was a single customer who experienced a delay in her ballestas islands tour because a driver of ours failed to pick her up. thats absolutely horrific, sounds like something out of a war movie. you sure dodged a bullet there, buddy.

Please be reasonable. Every single tourism company in Peru has had this happen to them several times. Yes, that includes MysteryPeru, Condor Travel, Kuoda, etc. In the case of dipaCT, we made a mistake in trusting a local driver who turned out to be an irresponsible no-show. As a response, we no longer work with him and now have a much better idea of who can be relied upon to consistently pick up our clients.

J030, do you still plan on following the itinerary we outlined for you? If so, it seems like a hugely obnoxious thing to go and dredge up such old posts for no valid reason. You are not a client of my company. If you were a client, there is a 99.5% chance you would have been very happy with your tour and your private transportation, as the vast majority of our clients are.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 06:46
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

I changed my mind and I am not doing that trip as decided do not have enough time for it, so simply going to arequipa after lima.

however, I think you have to be reasonable as well on the criticism, obviously it may have been an over-reaction on my side to say "omg, scary" but whilst with other companies there are negative posts as well there are many that positive that do make them more attractive as they seemed balancing out the negative ones.

also others are listed on tripadvisor/facebook/lonelyplanet etc other places or just generally speaking seem more trackable....

so anyways, good luck with your business, that is all from my side as a reply...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

Wow the feedback from the company is quite inappropriate! Definitely wonr be booking with them after that retaliation!

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paracas and nazca travelers, beware of this company

That feedback was not inappropriate. What would be inappropriate would be to take off all my clothes, put on a Spiderman mask, and run down the street yelling "I'm a squirrel, I'm a squirrel." Our company policies strictly forbid that type of behaviour.